1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A systems

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Oriphus, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I have a Plu2 DVD player that says this about it:
    Does this mean i can play DVD Audio discs at full quality. Here is the player:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042301253&category=3316

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Unfortunately not. If you look at the specs, it plays DVD Audio in DVD Video quality. This is a very dodgy piece of advertising IMO, and should not be allowed! A quick check-rule is if the Analogue outputs are for Dolby Digital or DVDV only, then it is not a proper DVDA player.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ah right, thats a bit disappointing :-(

Thought it was too good to be true. now i now. Thanks Wilkes.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thanks, I like the look of it and seriously considering it.

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

They both look the part!
    Oh well - guess I'm gonna have to get one, if only for the SACD/DVDA compatibility. That will let me turn SACD into DVDA. Wonder how legal that is(n't)

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I didnt know there were any legalities in converting between the two formats. Are there?

10. MarcS

MarcS Member

Reading the posts I was wondering the following:
    Does DVDa and SACD have the same audio quality is one better than the other?
    Secondly, I'm not a high end audiophile but I'm keen on having a higher tha average sound quality. Now I still listen to music over a stereo set. However, I'm thinking of also replacing this with my PC. Now my questions is: is it possible to already play DVDA/SACD on your PC and what equipment would I need to get the same quality as if I would have a stereo set to do the same? Additionally, it should also still be possible to watch movies on my comp with multichannel sound. Thanks.

Marc

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Please check the "good news for DVDA " thread. There's a link there to a windows software DVD player that will also play DVDA.
    It's the latest version of Intervideo's WinDVD, and there is a DVD Audio pack available for it.
    SACD is still not available for PC, and probably won't be for a while as it uses a form of coding called Direct Stream Digital, DSD, rather than PCM.
    Get the best soundcard you can afford - and if multichannel isn't a concern then a good stereo one will do just fine. If you want the multichannel, then you will need 6 outputs and good monitors. For DVDA I would recommend 5 main full-range monitors of the same make & model, and a Sub if you feel the need. The sub channel, and Bass management, are really only an issue if using the player for DVDV as well.
    Hope this helps you, and feel free to ask away for more info should you need it.
    BTW - as far as any difference between the formats, there really isn't much to choose between them. Personally, I'm for DVDA over SACD but for a different set of reasons. Some people say SACD is better, others say DVDA.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What disc is SACD burnt on to?

13. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I have absolutely no idea, although it's largely academic as the equipment needed to write these is just not available to most people.
    Sony would probably be the people to ask - I'll go do it and post back.

14. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

go to http://www.superaudio-cd.com/
    for more info. It appears that these discs are not as simple as we thought. There are 3 different types, whereas in DVDA there is only 2, and they are very tight lipped about the creation process.
    It still looks as if they convert from PCM mainly, although it is possible to go direct to DSD in the recording phase.
    I'm writing a little paper on the differences, which I will post here when it is done.
    DSD ain't what you think it is, from early research!

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - cheers Wilkes. Also, if it converts from PCM anyway, then i guess it cant be better quality than the DVD A?