1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-A to CD wav, ripping AOB files

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by punkdavid, Sep 16, 2003.

1. punkdavid

punkdavid Member

Greetings!

I've sorted through the forums here, and I didn't see anyone specifically addressing this question:

Is it possible to rip the large AOB files from the AUDIO_TS folder of a DVD-A and convert them into 44.1 wav files for burning onto a standard cd-r? Can this be done with SmartRipper similarly to how you would rip the audio track from a DVD-V, which I have done successfully, or is it a completely different process?

On that note, would I even be able to browse the disc with my regular DVD-ROM drive?

Of course, the reason I would want to do this would be so that I could listen to the music from a DVD-A in my car stereo. Obviously there would be some sound quality loss, but I was hoping that there wouldn't be the same amount of loss as there would be from ripping the mpeg-compressed audio file from the VIDEO_TS folder, which is even smaller than the wav files I'm trying to create.

Thanks for your help.

2. punkdavid

punkdavid Member

OK, it's been ten days with no responses.

I have searched through all of the forums on this board, I have read the "Guides and Articles" page, and I'm pretty sure that I have not asked a question that has an obvious answer posted elsewhere.

The DVD-A format also has been out for around three years, and I'm sure that I'm not the first person to come up with brilliant idea of trying to convert the high fidelity audio tracks into a cd-convertable format.

So have I stumped the panel? If it is known to be impossible, please just let me know, and I'll give up my plans. But if anybody has seen any such guide, or knows the software that would be necessary to do this, please reply with some information.

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  3. listen

listen Member

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Only the analog way works so far.
    Connect a DVD-A player's analog out to your soundcard's linein and record ... Afterwards some manual cutting/editing of the .wav files is necessary before burning.
    If you have an Audigy 2 which - together with WinDVD - supports DVD-A playback, you can loop its analog ouput to linein and record this way. As both, D/A and A/D convertor have signal/noise ratio > 100dB IIRC you should record at 24 bit depth (higher sampling rate than 44100 can't do any harm either) and use some program with decent resampling/dithering algorithm like foobar2000 to convert to 16bit/44.1kHz. The result should be veeeery close to ripping/resampling fully digitally (which is not possible).

5. punkdavid

punkdavid Member

Thanks.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be so easy.