1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd aspect ratio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wschw, Apr 13, 2005.

1. wschw

wschw Guest

Could anybody help?
    When I copy dvd's and they are on widescreen is there a way to take of those black top and bottom lines and restore the dvd to full screen. Help please

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

An easy way to do it would be first convert the dvd into certain common formats (e.g. mpeg), then use programs like Nero Vision Express which lets you set the aspect ratio and other video properties to encode and burn.

3. wschw

wschw Guest

Thanks for the reply, what type of mpeg should I convert to, 2 or 3?, also any suggestions of the program which would convert to mpeg/
    Thanks

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi wschw,

Just curious, what type of tv do you play your dvd's on? A lot of the new widescreen tv's have different format settings, 16:9 zoom for example which will remove the black bars from the top and bottom of the screen without distorting the picture.

Mort

5. wschw

wschw Guest

My tv is not wide screen its an ordinary toshiba 32". The only way I can get rid of the bars is to use the zoom function of the TV but this distorts the picture. Any ideas

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Mpeg2 or avi, just any popular format. I use ImToo DVD Ripper. Here:

http://www.imtoo.com/

Good luck!