1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Audio and Windows ME

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by GTort, Feb 11, 2008.

1. GTort

GTort Member

Hi, new here but not to hi-res. All my audio programs are on Windows ME and would like to add DVD-Audio Solo but the demo doesn't work (1.3 or 1.4) with ME. Can anyone confirm if Discwelder Bronze or other similar program works with ME? Would really appreciate if anyone has done it. Thanks.

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Are we talking W98 ME, or XP Media Centre Edition here please?

3. GTort

GTort Member

My ops is Windows ME/98 based. No matter what I tried DVD-Audio Solo would not work on it. My option there seems to be to run two ops and install XP on another partition. I Just got an E-mail from the sales dept. at Discwelder saying Bronze would work on ME -but their free demo doesn't really do anything on my system.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I would be very surprised if DVD-Audio SOlo runs on that OS.
    What I will do is ask the development team though, as I have a good relationship with them, and post back here for you.
    Ditto discwelder Bronze.

W98ME is a seriously out-of-date OS, and it is a weird OS at best with it's insane mixture of NT and 98SE.
    I recommend ditching it and getting a copy of XP - this is a very robust OS, and if your system will load & run ME, it will run XP much better.

Can you please give me some complete system details?

5. GTort

GTort Member

I really appreciate your effort, Wilkes, Thank you. From memory (not at home just now) the system is Windows ME 4.9xx with 1gb ram, 2hd's partitioned to 3 plus an external, 833mb processor, DVD-rom and DVD/CD rewrite drives, and external Echo Gina 24/96 soundcard. Drivers and system have been updated (as far as ME would go) and is running stable. I am familiar with ME's problems but have dealt w/and optimized to keep it stable. I am at the point where this computer will be kept only for audio whether I upgrade the ops or not. Anyway I want the high-res functionality but do not want to purchase if unable to run. Sales @ Discwelder says Bronze will work on Me but I was hoping for some expert first-hand advice. The advice here is definately expert just not first-hand in this case. Thanks again, Gary.

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Gary.

I am also sending you a PM as there is some stuff relevant only to you I need to tell you.
    For anyone reading this thread, the following is current information.
    DVD-Audio Solo dropped W98 support with the release of version 1.4 which supports the use of WMA files. Version 1.3 did install to W98, but this is now expired. All future installations require a minimum OS of XP.
    DiscWelder is the same story - XP only.

7. GTort

GTort Member

Thanks to Wilkes, and to the people at Discwelder, I now have Bronze up and running. Great program, I'm really diggin' the sound. The 24/192000 stereo tracks are just what I was looking for. Been experimenting with my hardware for a few days and have been very impressed. Can't thank you guys enough, but hey, I can try. Stay cool, Gary

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Now that's what I call a result!
    Great News.
    I am also very happy that you find the quality of DVD-A to be every bit (pun unintentional) as good as I do.
    You will have one problem though.....

DVD-A quality is seriously addictive.
    You're now hooked.

9. GTort

GTort Member

Ya I'm hooked. Just love the results. I have transferred (so far) CD content, LP transfers, and a few songs from a DVD concert not available on CD. All of these to 24bit/192000 or 24/96000 for comparison sake. One thing is for sure the better the original source the better the results. Seriously time consuming even though I had converted some files to 24/192 while waiting for the Bronze software to arrive. Also had to do some file clean up and organization on the pc after 1 day of transferring (things were getting out of control) but all very worthwhile. Should have done this sooner. Thinking about ripping my all-in-one mis-enginerred car cd player/defrost/ac/heater unit out and installing a mobile DVD-A unit. Who needs heat anyway.

10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Edit.

I apologise to all, as I gave duff information in an earlier reply.
    For clarification, DVD-Audio Solo works on all OS from and including Windows 2000 : Windows 2000, Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP, Windows Vista, including Vista 64 (to the best of Cirlinca's knowledge, anyway, as far as Vista 64 goes).
    So it's not just XP.

Very sorry.