1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Audio "DVDA", PC Incompatible? DTS Chipmunk!

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by caveman50, Jan 31, 2005.

1. caveman50

caveman50 Guest

My curiosity got the best of me, and I went out and bought a $20 Sting DVDA "DTS" just to see what the difference is.

My specs:

DFI NF2-Ultra Rev B - Using onboard Soundstorm SPDIF coax out.

Logitech Z-5500 Speakers with Hardware DD and DTS decoding.

PowerDVD (Tried WinDVD as well with same result)

LightON DVD drives (1 Reader, 1 single layer writer)

When trying to play the DVDA, PowerDVD detects it as an "audio CD" I have it configured to output through the SPDIF, My speakers pick up the DTS track and decodes it.

The problem: the tracks seem to play at 1.5 times the normal speed (chipmunk effect). I know this, because when I use my Stand-alone DVD player, with Optical SPDIF out to the same speakers, it works perfectly!

How can I get this to play correctly on my computer!?

I've been googling High and low, visiting Cyberlink, and intervideo, and cannot find anything helpful...

2. bitbrain2

bitbrain2 Member

PowerDVD 6.0 and WinDVD 6.0 are both capable to play DVD-A, previous versions are not! Did you try to play it through the analog outputs of your onboard sound chip ? I used WinDVD 6.0 to play a DVD-A with my Terratec Aureon Sky and it worked fine.

bitbrain2

3. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

Are you sure you got DVD-A (as in does it have the DVD-Audio logo at the back)? DTS is playing very dirty. They use the same super jewel case DVD-A uses for their DTS music Discs (can't call them CD since they are not Redbook compliant).

And I doubt you can hear much difference on your setup. But you need up to date software plus hardware decoder like an Audigy (no digital out for dvd-a, nor SACD).