1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD audio Question

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Glaga, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Glaga

Glaga Member

See I have a collection of music cds from a certain artist and I have a dvd player in my car.

So what I've been trying to do is rip all of their albums on my computer and then burn all of the songs on one dvd so I can listen to it without having to switch cds every time I wanna listen to another album.

My problem is, when burning dvd-audio with the programs I've used (roxio, nero ulead movie factory) doesn't seem to work as I want it to.
    When I put the dvd in my home dvd system it reads it, but when I put it in my car, the DVD is unreadable and I get an error.

What can I do? Am I using the wrong program or something?
    I don't think the specific dvd type is incompatible because I've tried many different brands and the same result occurs.

Any input on the matter would be helpful

Thanks.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

your car head unit is a dvd player, not dvd-audio player. there is a big difference between the two. the standard dvd player will play dvd-video discs, not dvd-audio discs. that is why your car stereo won't read them.

3. Glaga

Glaga Member

I see...

Is a dvd containing audio files automatically a dvd-audio? can't it be considered a dvd with music as data, just like a cd with music?

The thing I don't understand is that my home dvd-player is not a dvd-audio player either, and it still reads it.
    I guess maybe it is a dvd-audio player also.

Back on topic, what can I do to be able to play a dvd containing music on my car dvd-player? Is there a way?

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No.
    A DVD-Audio disc is one that is formatted and authored with the DVD-Audio specifications, and contains only PCM or MLP encoded audio files. It's a totally different format to DVD-Video
    What you are getting confused with is a Music DVD, which is still essentially a DVD-Video disc, written according to the DVD-Video specifications.

Almost certainly.
    What make & model is your
    A - Car player, and
    B - house player?

If your car player is true DVD-Audio - and there are a fair few of these around - then it may or may not also read DVD-Video discs. It also may or may not read written discs, depending on the type & brand of media you are using.
    For example. A lot of car players will not read written discs unless they are the DVD-R type, as DVD+R is not an "official" format. However, there is no actual requirement for any DVD player to read any written discs - although most will as not supporting this is basically commercial suicide these days.

Additionally, you should try to ensure that your audio files are in the correct format too. For DVD-V based discs this means 16/48 LPCM for highest quality - should allow 6 or 7 full albums per disc.
    Dolby Digital is your other option, and this will allow around 60 or 70 albums per disc. Quality is very high, considering the amount of compression, and is certainly superior to the ghastly MP3.
    However, this would not be high resolution audio.
    16/48 LPCM is not really high resolution either, but is counted as such by SonyBMG so will be considered as High Rez here too.

Can you please post back with the info on your players, full details on what will and will not play in each player, and finally details on what you did when authoring, and what applications you used?
    It should be quite simple to get your required 6 or 7 albums per DVD in full quality.
    It's all down to the players too.

5. jjolson

jjolson Member

First, how are you doing when you burn the DVD's? Not only the burner program, but where do you get the tracks from, in what format, what selections (especially type of format to burn) are you making in the burner program?

6. SteveJoy

SteveJoy Member

I have basicly the same problem.

I also own much album cd's, but I don't like to change cd's over and over again.
    I have a car-dvd player wich play's basicly every format even divx.

I ripped my cd albums to my pc, and they became mp3 format files.

I don't care much about the quality of these mp3's I think they are good enough.
    Normally I use Nero to make cd's/dvd's.

The thing that is important to me is to get as much as possible mp3's to a dvd that I can play in my car's dvd player.

Another thing I was wondering about was if it is possible to display a menu on the music dvd, to my in-car LCD screen.
    and some kind of visualisation like in Windows Media Player, or maybe just a picture of the album of the song playing?

Thanks in Advance!

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

(This really belongs elsewhere, as it's not really High Rez)
    But.
    What you can do with your in-car player really does depend on the players capabilities.
    A lot of DVD players won't play DVD-R with MP3 on them at all, and some will. The reason for this is generally when a player loads a disc, it will look for the following things:
    1 - Audio_TS folder, with relevant IFO file (In DVD-A systems)
    2 - Video_TS folder, with relevant IFO files.
    If it cannot find either of these, it usually looks for a TOC which would identify a CD.
    If it cannot find this, it may well decide it cannot play the disc and show an error.

You really need to check the players documentation, find out what it will & will not do, then come back when you know what you want to do.
    Sorry to be so blunt about this, but we have no way of knowing what your players capabilities are, so cannot advise.

On a personal note:
    I would have thought a screen with visualizations of any description on it would be dangerous in a car.....and this capability is entirely down to the player, not the disc.
    If you author a DVD-Video format music disc, you can put whatever visual you wish, as long as it follows the DVD-Video specification.
    This would usually mean Dolby Digital Audio, or AC3.
    This will allow you to put scads and scads onto a single disc if you DON'T use complex video backgrounds.
    work it out:
    Dolby Digital Stereo is at 0.192 Megabits per second.
    DVD5 content is approx. 36,000 megabits.
    Divide this by 0.192 & divide by a further 60 to get minutes = 3125 minutes of straight music with just text to show what is playing.
    That is 52 hours on one disc.

8. SteveJoy

SteveJoy Member

My in-car dvd player is capeble of playing dvd+/- R , dvd+/- rw , mp3 cd , hdcd (never heard of this) , picture cd , and Divx / ac3.
    It has an build in ac3 encoder.

I think it should be capeble.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Steve.

There is no mention of DVD-Audio at all.
    There is also no mention of MP3 DVD-ROM, so it will almost certainly not work.
    There will be no visualizations, other than video files you author into a DVD-Video project.

What you want to do is author a DVD-Video Music disc, containing Dolby Digital (AC3) files.
    This will give you over 50 hours on a single disc with no visuals. If you wish to add visuals that move, this is gonna drop like a stone to around 2 to 3 hours maximum.

10. SteveJoy

SteveJoy Member

Hmm.. that's too bad. (it is ac3 compatible)

I really thought it would be possible.

but, isn't there an other way of getting 15 cd's to 1 dvd?

Maybe this is a way?
    Change the ripped mp3 songs to .avi video format.
    So that would become a video without visual, only audio.
    that I can burn it with nero, iso dvd.

But avi format files are also a lot larger than mp3/ac3.
    So I don't know how much 1 song would be in MB.

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I don't understand what the problem is!
    All you need to do is create a DVD-Video Music disc.
    There are applications available that will do this for you.

There are also DVD-Video authoring applications such as Adobe's EncoreDVD.
    What you have to do is get your audio at 16/48 PCM.
    Then import into authoring application, and off you go. With Encore it even has the Dolby Digital encoder built in. AC3 IS Dolby Digital, but to guarantee it will play, you cannot use things like BeSweet as it is NOT DVD compliant.

Do not use MP3.
    This has been massively compressed already using a perceptual process, and is at the wrong sample rate too. Therefore it would need to be resampled, expanded to WAV and recompressed and the quality hit will be horrendous.

Converting to AVI?
    WHY?
    There is no video attached, so what is the point?
    And an ISO DVD will NOT PLAY IN A CAR PLAYER. ISO is a data format.
    Your car player is not, it is a DVD-Video player.

It's simple.
    Take your CD.
    Extract to WAV files.
    Resample to 48KHz, use Voxengo R8Brain, it's free. www.voxengo.com/downloads.
    Now you have the 16/48 WAV files.
    These need to be authored to DVD-Video.
    There are many applications that will do this, but you MUST use Dolby Digital (AC3).
    Do NOT use MPEG audio, odds are good the player will not rewad it.
    Do NOT use MP3, it is not a DVD compatible format.
    Do NOT use BeSweet, it is back engineered and is NOT reliably DVD compliant.

Please address further questions to the DVD-Video authoring forums.