1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Audio To DTS Surround

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by PhotoDan, Mar 17, 2008.

1. PhotoDan

PhotoDan Member

I recently picked up Dire Straits Brothers In Arms in DVD Audio, sounds incredible, however only the first 4 tracks will play on my Panasonic ELS 5.1 in my car before I get a check disc error and then it ejects. The whole disc plays fine on my home theater 5.1 and on my Mac. I actually contacted the sound engineer that did the master of that disc and he suggested I try to convert the disc to DTS Surround, can anyone help me with information on apps to do that?

I did find a tutorial that uses DVD Extractor and SurCode CD Pro but SurCode looks to be very expensive, does anyone know another way??? Perhaps with trial version apps??

Thanks!!!

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

SurCode DTS-CD is only $99 - it's not expensive.
    You will not get a DTS encoder any cheaper.
    What you could try - assuming it's there - is ripping the streams out of the Video_TS instead. Decode to WAV files using Tranzcode (which is free) and re-write your own DVD-A using the superb VFM of $45 for Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo.
    www.cirlinca.com
    (use Google for Tranzcode)

3. bobchew

bobchew Member

Right here we go prepare to be lambasted!....another route is to use dvd audio explorer to rip out the MLP files..and then put them through digion audio (an unfinished japanese program that reads mlp files then saved back out as wav files..then load them/it into an audio program..downsample to 44.1khz 16bit and thence into the infamous surcode dts wotnot thats 'only' $99 or fifty quid or therabouts..its more than likely by now there are other dts encoders by now..i think some nice german fellows have one two cooked up that actually are FREE (how about that?) anyway at least you'll get what you actually wanted which was the DVD AUDIO part and not the DVD video part...right I'm outta here like now.....byeeee lummey he's gone..who was that masked stranger? i dunno but....... ..

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Dropping from the 24/96 lossless to 24/96 DTS is tossing out all the benefits of the High Resolution audio.
    Best option is to try & get the disc replaced.

5. bobchew

bobchew Member

thats a good idea -getting the disc replaced- with what? the same disc no doubt..or go one stage better and have the band perform the music in your front room...but then that wont be as good as 11khz mono mp3 will it? after all only iguanas with xray hearing can only hear above 16 megacycles...as the signal to noise ratio exceeds that of subsonic levels and feed back to the dayglo loop cycle at 99.9 megabuckets and is at at 45 degress above sea level..and no speakers made on this planet can play them unless theres a thursday in the month.

6. pranojit

pranojit Member

Bobchew: Why are you upsetting others? You can add your opinion but why attack others opinion?

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Best not to feed trolls.
    They will get bored & leave soon enough.

As far as my suggestion went I can think of several titles that were flawed on initial release but later corrected.
    1 - Queen, ANATO DVD-A. (Remixed completely after first pressing)
    2 - Wings, Band On The Run (Initial release was missing the first chords of the title track. Corrected on later pressings)
    3 - Bowie, Heathen SACD (Initial pressing cut to track 2 in Multichannel after 10 seconds. Corrected in later pressings)
    4 - Duran Duran, Live from London (initial pressing so far out of sync it's unwatchable - partially corrected)
    Etc, Etc, Etc.

WHy this was considered to be a silly idea (exchanging the disc) is beyond my understanding.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008