1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring Questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DsS-WaR, Jul 21, 2003.

1. DsS-WaR

DsS-WaR Member

I just took some videos from my vacation trip and wanted to put them on DVD's so I could send them to my family.

Anyways, my question is that I have four Hi-8 tapes and together they are roughly 8 hrs long.

I captured the videos to my HDD and now they take up a little over 4 gigs of space.
    Now which program would I use to put all the videos on one DVD and be able to play them on my DVD player? I dont want to end up using 4-5 dvd-r's for this project.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. T2K

T2K Guest

If you don’t plan on editing out your video first and rendering it will probably have to be recompressed, Authoring programs are very picky about video standards and wont except captured video.. Some video editors you can use are “Ulead’s, Video studio 7”, “Sonic Foundry’s, Vegas Video” If you want to skip the editing and get straight to authoring I highly recommend “Sonic Foundry’s DVD Architect its easy to use for novice’s and has professional features but most important it will render your video for you if its out of spec…With DVD Architect you can optimize the DVD to try to make it fit On to disk, but if you cant get the size right then you can always use “DVD shrink” :) GOOD LUCK

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Vegas 4 produces amazinf results when authoring your home video. You can edit it quite a lot too.

Chris

4. DsS-WaR

DsS-WaR Member

I just bought TMPGEnc DVD Authoring software and I have added my videos and it does not limit the video to its length but instead to its size. Has anyone tried this piece of software before?

Thanks.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

DsS-WaR

Please remember, you can usually only get 2hrs of good quality video on a DVD.

After that, quality starts to suffer. I think youa are expecting the impossible in trying to get 8hrs on a single DVD.

HomerJ

Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  7. DsS-WaR

DsS-WaR Member

HomerJ,

Well I have accomplished the IMPOSSIBLE!!
    I got 8+ hrs of DVD Quality video on ONE DVD-R.

What do you have to say about that?

Peace out

8. Jake

Jake Active member

Maybe you have DVD-9 or 10 disc :)

9. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I always make the true test of the "quality" of a DVD by playing it on my big screen TV.

10. Jake

Jake Active member

With DVD2one :) "quality"
    How big is you TV? 14"?

11. DsS-WaR

DsS-WaR Member

Used TMPGEnc DVD Authoring program (even added a cool menu) and got all 8+ hrs of video on one DVD-R.

The quality is perfect on my 32" Sony Wega.

If someone needs step by step instructions, I wouldn't mind helping you out.

Thanks.

12. Jake

Jake Active member

I want really know how you put 8+ hrs of DVD quality video on one DVD-R (5) just lol.
    Do you even know what DVD quality means?

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DsS-War - I hate to tell you this, but you did now put 8hours of DVD VOB's onto a DVD R disc and retain quality. In fact, the quality would be absolutely awful and no matter what you come back and say it is, I know its awful because i tried putting 6 hours on one DVD and was compressing at a ridiculous rate.

Jake - i liked the 14" TV thing - quite funny :)

Chris

14. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Jake- keep in mind I'm not the one trying to put 8 hours onto one DVD. I strip out [bold]everything[/bold] to keep from compressing the movie if need be. :)

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im not sure what you mean Ken, and i know you know what you are talking about. But are you trying to say that you can put 8 hours of DVD Video onto one disc without compressing by much?? I don't think you are, but just clarify that for me will ya :)

Chris

16. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

You are correct Chris. I know better than that.

What I'm saying is this:

- to DsS-WaR: there is no way to get DVD quality from hi8, let alone 8 hours of DVD quality onto a DVD-R.

- to Jake: With DVD2one I strip everything extra out of the movie (directors comments, deleted scenes, extra soundtracks) and often am left with very little compression. Then I test it on my 43" Sony to make sure I am satisfied with the results.

17. Jake

Jake Active member

Why you don't just rip those with SmartRipper etc. and compress the movie excample CCE Basic what compress movie much better quality and software is approximately same price than DVD2one. And authoring with IfoEdit..