1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring Software - Need Recommendations

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by joep42, Oct 17, 2004.

1. joep42

joep42 Member

Mar 5, 2004
    I have visited this forum many times and have gained invaluable information on how to convert my VHS home videos to DVD (especially from Minion). I have researched and experimented and finally made some small steps. Here is where I am now:

1. I capture my VHS videos via a Canopus ADVC100 box and WinDV. A winning combination!

2. I edit my captured video (avi files) with Microsoft's MovieMaker 2.1. It easy to use, meets all my simple editing and timeline/storyboard needs, is rock solid, and while MM2 grinds away in background, I can use my system for other things without any problem. I save the edited files as DV-AVI (NTSC).

3. Based on what I have read in this forum, CCE-Basic is one of the fastest and best products to convert the AVI files to MPEG2. I downloaded the trial (but limited) version and it worked well but the trial version only converts/saves three minutes of video. However, from what I see on my monitor, video (and audio) quality is excellent in all respects.

[bold]My Question:[/bold] At this point, I need no further editing, I am happy with the MPEG files created by CCE-Basic and would like to any suggestions on what software would be best to author my MPEG files to DVD-disk (via a Plextor 708A). I have heard good things about DVD-Lab (a Minion favorite) but it may be to powerful/complex for my needs at this point. TMPGenc products appear to be more suited to my immediate needs.

I'm retired so cost is of concern. My system is a Dell 1.5 GHz/256 Mb Ram, with a dedicated 120 Gb 7200 RPM 8mb Buffer hard drive dedicated to video files only.

All suggestions would be most welcome.
    Thanks everyone.
  2. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Thus far I have found TMPGEnc DVD Author & WinDVD Creator to be the most user friendly (noob, as it were) authoring programs. Creating custom menus with THPGEnc is a cinch. They both have a bunch of preset menus, too.

You can download trial versions of both & they are relatively inexpensive to purchase.

I prefer CloneDVD2 for burning, simply because I have never had a single "coaster" from using it. Also fairly inexpensive.