1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by coyote64, Dec 20, 2004.

1. coyote64

coyote64 Member

Greetings,

Have enjoyed the benefits of DVD Shrink and other utilities to safeguard my investments of a number of movies I watch over and over or just listen to while I'm doing other things.

On a good number of discs I have, there are two or three "shorts" which are fun to watch when I don't have time to watch a whole movie. I would love to just compile all these shorts from all my discs onto one disc so if there are a few I want to watch, I don't have to root through my whole collection to find them.

I'm trying to find a guide or resource or possibly even a thread here that can tell me what the individual files are that make up a DVD disc and what they are for. I realize that if I think of a DVD disc as an application, the different files make up the modules and so some are essential and have to link to each other in certain ways. That may or may not be accurate, but that's how my brain perceives the process.

Ok, so I take say... 10 discs and have a pile of files that make up say...30 short films that are on that disc.

What tool(s) would you folks recommend for building simple menus to access these shorts and create a disc to allow quick access as if it were a commercial disc?

Thanks for your help, I hope my question makes sense. I've gone through many pages of threads but haven't found one that can get me started.

The Coyote

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hey Coyote,

Yes this can be done. Here is the summary...

* Start with DVD Shrink and use the Start/End feature in Re-author to grab the 'short' you want.
    * Do this for all your shorts/movies.
    * Now you should have several directories, each with a VOB file which contains a short.
    * Use a program to paste these together. I know DVD Lab can do it. You can either just paste them all together or you can create a menu with a entry for each one. DVD Lab can handle VOBs as input...so no need to convert them!

Adder.