1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd back-ups copies are degraded!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigdawg1, Jan 15, 2005.

1. bigdawg1

bigdawg1 Member

I have been using Any DVD and Clone DVD without a problem unitl recently when I started having back-up copies that would fail partially through the viewing of the copy. they seem to break up. It almost looks like your digital cable or satellite signal when it is being disrupted by inclement weather. Does anyone know what would cause this and is there a fix?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

What kind of media are you using? Inconsistant media can cause this problem, some will be OK, others not.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The problem you are having is usually from poor quality media like bigorange stated. It could also be from burning too fast (above 4x), defragmented HD, or even a poor quality original. But the media is first on the list.

Jerry

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Good call Jerry. I didn't think to put it down, but burning too fast is a big no no. Never burn movies at over 4x and games at over 1x. The 5-7 minutes you save ain't worth it.

BTW, if your media is Memorex or anything made by CMC, you can bet that's your problem. Download Dvdinfopro, the free version, and check your media out, see who the manufacturer is. Memorex is notorious for farming out their media, thus the inconsisitency from one to the next.

Hey Jerry, come to think of it, it's about time I did a little "fraggin" myself. It's something I seem to put off until it ends up taking about 8 hours to do it.LOL

5. bigdawg1

bigdawg1 Member

Thanks for the info. I am using Memorex media so I am hoping that is the main problem. I have never had a problem with their media, but I did notice the disks appear to be a bit different from the last batch I purchased. i will have to try a different media and hope that is the only problem. I am copying at 4X so i am confident that is not the problem. Any suggestions on what type or brand of media is most reliable?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Ritek, Ricoh, Verbatim, TDK, Maxell, and Sony are a few good ones, there are others. Also, remember it is usually safest to buy branded discs and be sure to deal with a reputable dealer with a good guarantee, just in case.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Good old Memorex media. I still can't understand how a company like Memorex buys that junk and brands their name on it. It can't be good for the company name.

Jerry

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Their move to CMC is going to cost them. Everyone I know stopped buying Memorex and no one seems to have a kind word for them. If they keep up, they'll lose what they have left of their reputation. With the media they're selling now, they are relying on their past rep to carry the sales. They used to use top manufacturers, but they changed to the questionable suppliers they now have. Maybe it hasn't dawned on them yet to read some forums to see what the consumers think.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

IMHO the only sales memorex still makes is to customers that are not familiar with the importance of media cosistancy and quality for vidio reproduction. I don't think they have too many return buyers, mostly one time users. We've all been there and had to learn the hard way (at least I have). I even gave them a second chance. First batch was CMC and second batch was infodisc. Never again.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

bigdawg1,

Here is a very good brand of media. One of the ones brobear mentioned. Make sure you get branded. Get the Ritek G04 4x-R, G05 8x-R(you can still burn 8x at 4x), or the Ritek Ridata 4x +R. They are under .50 each and have free shipping. This store also has a very good return policy.

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

Hey guys, how was that guess for a shot in the dark? Memorex it was!!! LOL;>)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

Now let's hope that is the fix. On that media, I like the 4X +R Ritek-Ridata discs. The ones I got were manufactured by Ricoh. That's a product I've been using for the longest with great success. I hope they leave those alone for a long time and don't change.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

brobear,
    I second that. Ricohjpn is my media of choice. The last 100 pk of Ritek Ridata dvd+r's I ordered turned out to be Ritek R03's. I've only tried a few of them so far and they've been ok. Hope the rest are too. Needless to say I was hopeing for Ricoh's.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Seems Ritek is moving more toward selling the in house product. Sorry to see the Ricohs aren't exclusive to the 4X +R. Something to note.