1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD backup fails with Imgburn, but reads with Explorer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Rablador, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Rablador

Rablador Member

Hello

I want to make a backup of a non-commercial movie to a hdd drive from a DVD+RW disc. Imgburn tells me that there are 16+16 sectors (ie two blocks close to each other) that cannot be read. However, the TS folder (and RM folder, since this disc was burnt with a set top recorder) can be copied directly in Windows explorer without problems. Also, playback through VLC media player works fine.

Any clues?

I should add that a previous burn on the same disc resulted in 16 unreadable sectors at almost the same place, so clearly something's up with the disc. I just want to know which I should trust, Imgburn of Explorer...

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried any other programs to rip the disc such as DVDFab HD Decrypter or DVD Decrypter? I know it's not a copy protected source, but you may have success with another program.

3. Rablador

Rablador Member

DVD Decrypter gets the same reading error as Imgburn...

4. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

5. LOCOENG

I think this is going to be a problem ripping with the files in the format that they are in...RM. If you can rip the disc into explorer I'd go that route and then convert them to a DVD compliant file with DVD Flick or a similar proggie.

6. Rablador

Rablador Member

I have ripped discs with Imgburn like this many times before (using the exact same equipment and discs), so there SHOULD be no problems. But, well, there are...

I tried DVDFab, but without results. I also tried DVD Shrink, which by some reason worked without problems. HOWEVER, upon inspecting the Video_ts folder I discovered that the video_ts.vob file (containing the menu) was only 72kb as opposed to the 256kb from both explorer and Imgburn. Also, the last vob file was slightly smaller (about 200kb) than that of the imgburn/explorer rip.

Clues?

7. LOCOENG

This is looking at the file that was ripped with DVD Shrink? Could be that after the quick analysis DVD Shrink has already applied compression to the menu and whatever that last vob is. You can click on the "menu" and choose "no compression" (or something to that affect) in the drop down menu on the right. If the menu pops back up to the size it is supposed to be then we know this is what happened to the size of your files.

8. Rablador

Rablador Member

Nope, should not be the case. I checked the compression before ripping, so it must be something else. I will check a fully working disc and see if the same thing happens with it.

9. Rablador

Rablador Member

Hmm, same thing... Maybe should check with the author of the software.

10. LOCOENG

The author of what software...Imgburn (LUK), I would suspect he'd tell you that you are barking up the wrong tree on that one.

11. Rablador

Rablador Member

Nono, I mean DVD Shrink ^_^; Ask about the shrinked vob files

12. LOCOENG

Mr. Shrink retired about three years ago...no support for that program anymore.