1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Backup plays on home DVD player but not PC DVD drive

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by richas400, Jan 24, 2005.

1. richas400

richas400 Guest

I have made dvd backups using DVDXcopy Platinum 4.0.3 as well as with DVDShrink and DeEncryptor. I have same problem regardless. The backup DVD works fine on my home DVD player (Toshiba and Sony models) but when I put the backup DVD movie into my DVD-ROM or DVD Burner drive, I get a pop-up window in XP and Win2000 that says insert disc into drive d: I tried opening up the movie in PowerDVD or WinMedia9 but it keeps asking me to insert a disc into the drive. Any ideas?

2. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

I dont know if this will help but i install (NVDVD)and play movies with windows media player and i have had zero problems with back up movies.

3. richas400

richas400 Guest

Thanks but the problem is not that I can't play the movie. The problem is that windows won't recognize I have a DVD movie disc in my DVD Rom drive or DVD RW drive! Any suggestions? The funny thing is I made them with DVD Xcopy Platinum AND they play fine on my home TV DVD player!

4. capnjb

capnjb Member

I also have this problem. I also use dvdx copy.
    i'm also looking for an answer

5. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

I used DVDXCOPY for a long time with no problems but i got tired of the DVD-ROM Backup screen, so i switched to the DVD Decrypter DVD Shrink method since iam not too concerned with title menus.as far as the disc not being recognized i have no idea, it almost sounds like it could be a registry issue,you could try uninstalling the IDE Channel your drives are on but im not sure if that would do anything just a suggestion.

6. capnjb

capnjb Member

we aren't saying dvd's won't play. originals will.
    when you copy a dvd and put the copy into the dvd drive the computer doesn't even recognize a disc - blank or writen to, but you can take that disc put it in your stand alone dvd player and it will play just like it was the original.

7. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Ok i got it DVD Drive will play originals but not copies, copies work fine in standard DVD player. sorry that my input was not more helpful

8. richas400

richas400 Guest

Yes thats correct. DVD ROM or RW drive plays originals just fine but not copies. I also tried DVD Dryptor with DVD Shrink and same thing. Backups play on home DVD player but not on computer drive. The computer plays originals fine but not copies. The computer keeps asking to Insert a disc into the drive????

9. Silver04

Silver04 Member

The same thing has happened to me. I have been using Platinum but it won't read in the computer. It is like the DVD isn't even in the computer. It will, however, play on my home DVD player. I hope someone has the answer to this problem soon.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I purchased DVDxCopy Platinum when it first arrived but no longer use it.

Reason being no more "321" screen and also I can copy a copy if need be that will be free of encryption and region codes. I have 3 PC's and 1 Dell Laptop 5600.

Burns with DVDxCopy Platium=
    Will Play: PC1, PC2 & Home DVD Players
    Won't Play: PC3, Dell Laptop 5600

DVDShrink 3.2=
    Will Play: PC1, PC2, PC3, Dell Laptop & Home DVD Players

In other words, everything I have, etc. plays well after I use DVDShrink 3.2

I also use DVDDeCrypter or VobBlanker for example on DVD's like RE2, The Forgotten, etc.

Bottom line, DVD Shrink works and it's free!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  11. nwa4ever

nwa4ever Member

Bump.
    I have the same problem....used DVD Shrink and Decrypter to make my backups and they play fine on stand alone dvd players, but my computer (and my friends) won't read them.

12. schan1975

schan1975 Member

Same problem here.
    I am burning DVD's with DVD-decryptor 3.5.2(Extract) then running DVD-Shrink 3.2.0.15(Create ISO), then burning to DVD with Nero6. After Burning is complete and my tray pops open. I put the DVD back in the PC and it looks like the DVD drive is empty. When I pop the DVD into my Sony or my Panasonic DVD players, the movie starts up just fine. This is driving me nuts. I realized today that I don't think I can read any burned DVDs. I tried a DVD from a friend and I cant read that either.... but it works on my dvd player Help...

13. Maxicat

Maxicat Member

same problem here

14. jabjib

jabjib Member

I have the same problem now. I use dvd shrink and I burned backups for a while, everything used to work fine. I used to be able to read the disc in my laptop. All of the sudden for the past 2 weeks I am not able to read the disc. I did a firmware upgrade on my burner and thought that wasw the problem. I down graded the firmware and I still have the same problem. I don't get it but if I take a burned dvd from pre firmware upgrade it still works fine and I can read it. But I still can't read any new ones. Has anyone figured this out yet?

15. capnjb

capnjb Member

as many people have said they use dvd shrink to copy movies. As I stated earlier I had several problems with DVD X Copy Plat. I now use DVD shrink with dvd dercrypter. It uses The same space on your hard drive as DVD X. The only difference is you must delete the movie when you are done or it is stored on your drive. If you are making multiple copies it is actually faster than dvd x copy. Point is use DVD shrink & decrypter they are fast & free.

16. jabjib

jabjib Member

I found out what the problem is!! Use a different DVD brand. I started out using sony dvd+r, and they worked fine in my laptop and my dvd player at home. Then I switched to Imation dvd+rw, and they only worked in my player. Unfortunatley I haven't watched a dvd in my laptop and never realized. I have a lot of conversions to do. Try sony dvd+r and see what happens!!!

17. richas400

richas400 Guest

Well at least this is something new to try. I will buy Sony +r DVD and see if it works. I can share with you that Fugi and Memorex dvd +R have not worked in my laptop but work fine on my Toshiba and Philips, and Winjam home DVD players.
    I will post my results here. I ask anyone else to do the same if they have used other brands of +R DVD's.