1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Backups not playing on any reader

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Shinji19, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Shinji19

Shinji19 Member

Hi, this is my first post here. :D
    Well, this is my problem, I hope anyone here can help me out: My uncle got a new DVD combo (player, burner, you know..) and he also bought 100 blank DVD-R. Since I've been visiting a DVD rental place I figured "Well, maybe I can rent them and copy them in my uncle's place" (He also has some dvd's I want to see, and have, of course), and they also offer the chance to actually buy a copy of the dvd you want, but it's not really that cheap. Anyway, I rented 2 dvd's, one is a copy, and one is original. I downloaded DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, CloneDVD 2, and the burner had Nero 6 included, so, I tried to copy the 'copy' one first, put it into the drive, Nero analysed and copied the disk, and I thought "That was really easy!" but then I tried to watch it in the computer and... it didn't work. The read light wouldn't stop flashing, so I thought it was a problem with the computer. I tried to play it in the DVD player, but, same problem. Since then, I've been using the above mentioned tools to rip and copy the dvd's, but the same problem happens, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with the source files, because I could play the video_ts file with Media Player Classic, and it even had the menu in it (I've wasted 4 dvds by now).

I'm now at home, and I'm trying to think of a way to burn them, but I can't seem to get any ideas. I've searched on this forum, but there are no specifics to this problem, so, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. Oh, I also tried DVDFAB Platinum, but the computer restarts whenever I try to burn the disk.
    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I forgot: english is only my second language, so if anyone has a hard time trying to understand what I said (or finds spelling errors and such) please let me know.

Edit: Since one of the DVDs is a copy, and it's a DVD5, I'd like to copy it exactly as it is. The original one (I suppose it's actually original, I really don't know) is a DVD9, so I'll have to reduce it using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, I guess.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  2. Shinji19

Shinji19 Member

Well, since I haven't got any replies yet, I'll try to elaborate on what I've done up until now.

I've tried to check DVDFAB for any problems, and it turns out that it's giving me a BSOD error (Blue Screen of...) it goes like this: "STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF813096A, 0xEB9EA1E4, 0x00000000) Cdr_4xp.SYS Address F831096A Base at F812000, Datestamp 3e230329".

I've uninstalled Nero, since one of the sites I visited suggested that, but the error still occurs. The disc I'm trying to copy is LOTR: ROTK, and it has no protections or things like that, it fits on one DVD5 disc. One place suggested that I burn the dvd using DVD shrink only, and that I burn at the slowest speed possible. Is this the right thing to do? any suggestions on how to do this?

This is really not that urgent, I just want to learn how to burn them so I won't make any coasters next time. Thanks.

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

what kind of media are you using?

also try starting out with RW discs until you figure it out so you don't waste alot of discs

4. dvdshow

dvdshow Guest

I've gotten one of those multi format players myself and it did the same things until I figured out how to turn on the DVD player alone. It was defaulted to VCR. Press more buttons!

5. Penders5

Penders5 Guest

I ONLY use DVD Shirnk for EVERYTHING..It uses my Nero to burn.
    I put in my original dvd in my dvd player, then I put a blank DVD+R in my burner.
    In DVD Shirnk, I "open disc" (drop down and find my movie) it scans the disk. It then pops up with alot of things checked. I uncheck all but English.
    Then...I go to "backup"...Shows it is backing to my burner...and storing a copy on my HD.
    I hit ok and walk away to come back to a burned copy.
    ....HOWEVER...Some stand alone home DVD players WILLNOT play copies. The DVD player has to say it plays...DVD+- R's /RW's.
    Hope some of this helped.

6. dvdshow

dvdshow Guest

I don't think you've said what burner you have. My Lite-On SOHW-1633 is very sensitive to spin speed, I think. I had to give it it's own 5 volt cable to make it do perfect copies. It would not do right if it had to share a cable from the fan or source drive. It would tell me I had a good copy, it would play on my computer using PowerDVD5, but it would not play in a stand alone DVD player. I put it in another computer with a bigger power supply and used a separate power cable and it's given me perfect copies since. My Pioneer DVR-108 does a beautiful job no matter where I out it. I use Ridata DRD-47's and Prodiscs. Both work OK. Pioneer is my choice for burners, hands down.