1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd backups wont play in xbox

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jackal15, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Jackal15

Jackal15 Member

i have an xbox v 1.0 with a thompson drive. I have tried burning some dvd movies using a combination of different methods (dvd shrink/nero, dvd shrink/dvd decrypter) I am using a BenQ dw1620 DL rewriter and Mitsumi DVD-Rs. I have copied about 6 movies in total and only 2 of them play in my xbox. All of them seem to play in other dvd players. Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with the process? Thanks for any help.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your Xbox probably just don't like that brand of media. Try some different disks. Maybe Fuji, Maxell, Verbatim, or Sony's.

3. Jackal15

Jackal15 Member

i bought a 200 pack of those discs cuz they were on sale. some of them seem to work though so it cant be that the drive doesnt like them.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Xbox's are just very picky at what they will and won't play. Your best bet is to "Booktype" your DVD's seeing how your BenQ will do this, but again you need to have +R disk's to be able to do that.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote;
    "i bought a 200 pack of those discs cuz they were on sale. some of them seem to work though so it cant be that the drive doesnt like them."

I hate to disagree, but I have to disagree with the above statement. Media is on of the most important aspects of burning. Just 'cos a few work, does not necessarily mean the rest will! Buy cheap, get cheap results. Try a different brand of media. Have a look in the X-box forum for some tips.

BB is a top man, he knows his stuff!

pulsar

6. Jackal15

Jackal15 Member

Thanks for the input so far. I don't have the option to try other media at the moment, and I definitely dont want to waste the ones that I have already purchased. Any ideas of what to try with what I've got? Clean my xbox dvd drive? Burn at a slower speed? Any other programs/settings that may work?

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Slower burn speed can help enormously. Most don't go over 4x burn speed.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Also try limiting the compression on the backups to as little as possible. In other words copy only the main movie with one audio stream (5.1CH) this could help some. Is there some reason these need to play on the Xbox? It's just putting wear and tear on the laser anyway, and if you have other players I wouldn't even be worrying about if they played on my Xbox, but thats just me :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  9. Jackal15

Jackal15 Member

xbox is my only dvd player at the moment and funds are tight for a while.
    what is the reason for wear and tear on the laser?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Anything you use causes wear and tear. When you can afford it I would go out to WalMart and buy the cheapest DVD player (I saw one there yesterday for $27) they will play anything you throw in them.

11. Jackal15

Jackal15 Member

thanks for all your help. Im going to try burning slower. The lower compression wont really help as some of the movies that didnt work didnt need any compression. Ill try burning just the main movie as well. If you think of anything more, feel free to post. Thanks again.

12. BigRen

BigRen Member

Had to reply cause the only DVD player I have at this point is my X-Box. I would probable blame the media also. I personally like the Memorex and the Verbatim Digital Movie both are -R. I have read that the -R is an older media format and works in about 90% of DVD player. I've only had one problem and that's with the second dvd of the Incredibles.

Just my 2 cents.

13. roseskym

roseskym Member

just a note I to have this problem but its only just started when I bought a new computer. My old computer and burner produced dvds that were playable in xbox. Very strange