1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD backups

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by george22, Oct 7, 2004.

1. george22

george22 Guest

Hello, I have used DVD Decrypter and DVD-shrink to back up copies of my Region 2 films.
    However, when I follow the guides to carry out the same procedure on the two Region 1, DVDs, to convert them to play on my Samsung DVD player,. I suffer from a problem: as follows, The sound of the film is great, the visual part shows the picture in about 4 or five bands moving up the screen.
    When I check the backup DVD, it states Region free.
    I am using a rec. quality dvd-R disc.
    I have tried burning via DVd decrypter and by Nero 5, from my hard drive.
    Any suggestions
    George Graham

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Your Region 1 films are most likely in NTSC format as opposed to the PAL format that is used in Europe. Most European equipment can play NTSC fine but it appears yours has trouble with it.

You might want to try your copies in some other players to see what happens. If they play fine then you'll most likely need to convert themn to PAL with something like TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc DVD Author.

3. george22

george22 Guest

You are correct. The problem is the conversion from NTSC to PAL.
    I have had a look at the TMPGEnc software, it looks as though it does everything. My next difficulty is, there is no mention of NTSC or PAL, so do they have different file or ID names?
    TMPGEnc wont answer questions (rightly so) until I buy the product, but I would like to test it first, before I buy.
    Thanks George22

4. Nephilim

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sorry to butt in Nephilim (matey, friend, chum)......

george22, most players throughout Europe and indeed the UK usually have included either a switch on the rear of the unit or in the setup menu's where you can select PAL/NTSC or Auto......have a look, this may solve your problem..............Just a thought......

If it hasn't, then follow Nephilim's good advice regarding the conversion links............
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  6. Nephilim

No worries Sir Baabaa! I didn't realize the European tellies had such switches :)

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Most modern TV's here play NTSC aswell out of the box, but the players usually have the options on them.

Which I suppose means they have their own built in decoders in them.........

I have had Region 1 films from the US, and ripped/compressed them to region free retaining the NTSC format and they have played fine, in my modern TV, and also my other TV which is pre 1997.
    The players themselves have the format switch in them.

It may work, and if it doesn't then as you stated it maybe down to his player OR the TV viewed upon on, and the conversion method will be the only way to go, barring the purchase of a new dvd/tv system.......

8. george22

george22 Guest

Many thanks for all your help. Trying the suggestions out kept me out of the way for a while.
    Main thing was, my attempts failed to convert NTSC to PAL.
    My TV is about 20 years old,so can't do multi systems.
    My set top DVD player is about 5 years old and has no switches on back. I found a programme which allowed me to make the player multi regional though. So all wasn't a total failure.
    The software for the change from NTSC to Pal is extraordinary difficult to understand, but I did end up with the result most contributers to other groups had, namely, the differing sound v video tracks ( out of kilter).
    So now after all the searching, I am going to cool my head down with a damp cloth.
    Thanks again.
    George

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

baabaa, that's very interesting, I also was unaware of such a switch, this is going in my "interesting and helpful facts" folder. Thanx :>)

Hi Neph, hope all is well;>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  10. george22

george22 Guest

Is there any point in having a 'multi-region' DVD player, if the main 'other region' uses a different system. ie. PAL-NTSC?
    This wont apply to probably a minority who have TVs capable of twin system playing>