1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD backups

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PvtJoker, Mar 26, 2005.

1. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

What is the best software to use to backing up DVD's?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The best is RB/CCE. RB (Dvd Rebuilder) is free but CCE basic (Cinema Craft Encoder) costs $58 US.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

or you can use free apps!

=======DVD-5 -> DVD±R, Single layer DVD discs only (*Inc PS2*)=========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-5 / PS2 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-5 / PS2 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

Note: You NEED a chipped PS2 to play these disks. Try http://www.gameworlddirect.co.uk or http://www.modchip.com

-------------------------------------------

========DVD-9 -> DVD±R, using only free software========

This is one good path to follow if you don't have any DVD software utilities at all.

Updated: 8th August 2004 (based on hembo's guide)
    Scope of this guide: To copy any DVD9 to one DVD±R(W) with all the contents or the 'main movie' only.
    Hard disc space needed: 20 Gbyte when backing up a movie on 1 DVD9.

Tools used:
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0
    DVD Shink 3.2 (note: if your drive is not NTFS you must use 3.2 or later)
    Download and install both of the above.
    Setting up DVD Shrink:
    Click on the Edit menu and then on Preferences...
    In the DVD Shrink Preferences window which opens, click on the File I/O tab
    As this guide only uses freeware, make sure that the Enable burning with Nero option is UNCHECKED

[​IMG]

Click the OK button

Ripping:
    Start DVD Decrypter
    Ensure you're in 'File' mode by pressing the 'F' key or selecting it via the 'Mode' option in the menu at the top
    If, for some reason, all files are not selected, press <Ctrl-A> to select ALL the files
    Make a note of the destination folder, for example 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS'

[​IMG]

Click the [DVD-image] button to start DVD Decrypter, this will take anything from 10 minutes and up, depending on your computer and DVD drive speed

[​IMG]

When it is finished, close DVD Decrypter

Re-authoring / Shrinking:
    Start DVD Shrink
    Click the [OPEN FILES] button on the main toolbar
    Navigate to C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS and click [Ok], this will take a few minutes while DVD shrink analyzes the DVD.

[​IMG]

When the analysis has finished, you will see the entire structure of the decrypted DVD files.

Jump to step 16 to backup the entire DVD, (like an episodic or series DVD like Friends or Simpsons), instead of just the 'main movie', and then adjust the compression for the extras and menus in order to leave more room for the main title.

Click the [RE-AUTHOR] button on the main toolbar and the DVD Browser tab should be active; if not, click on it
    Click and hold on 'Title 1' and drag it to the left-hand pane, under DVD

[​IMG]

If your movie is greater than 4.35GB then the movie is automatically compressed as you can see if you click on the 'Compression Settings' tab. Here you can deselect audio tracks and subtitles you don't want in order to minimize the compression of the video.

[​IMG]

Insert a blank DVD±R(W) into your DVD-burner
    Click the [BACKUP] button on the main toolbar
    Select ISO Image file and burn with DVD Decrypter as your target device

[​IMG]

Select an appropriate target file/folder for DVD Shrink to output to, for example 'C:\NEW_DVD.ISO'
    If your movie is greater than 4.35GB, then you can CHECK the 'Perform deep analysis' option on the Quality Settings tab to enhance the video quality. If it's not, there's no need to compress and you can't select that option.

[​IMG]

Click [OK]. If your movie is greater than 4.35GB it will take about 20 - 40 minutes depending on the length of the movie, and the complexity of the mpeg. Otherwise it will only take a few minutes.
    Once DVD Shrink has finished reauthoring and/or compressing, DVD Decrypter will automatically launch and burn the image to DVD without any user intervention
    When you have checked and are happy with the new DVD, you can delete the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD' folder, the 'C:\NEW_DVD' folder (if it exists) and the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD.ISO' file

========DVD-9 -> DVD+R DL, Double layer to Double layer! (1:1)==========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

USE THE .MDS FILE IT CONTAINS THE LAYER BREAK INFO FOR BURNING!

Note: If your drive supports booktype / bit setting, remember to tell it to burn DVD+R DL discs as DVDROM. This will make them more compatible with players. The booktype / bit setting utility is accessed by clicking on the little 'book' icon when in ISO Write mode.

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

"Best" means different things to different people. What do YOU mean by best? Best in speed? Best in quality? Best in cost? Best in ease of use? Etc. It all depends on one's perspective. You can have almost an infinite number of opinions on this one question.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, The best ones are the ones I use..........and I'm not telling you...............

Most people stick with the freebies such as Dvd Decrypter and Dvd Shrink, lots of guides here on Afterdawn and more importantly lots of people willing to share their knowledge and experiences with them.

Like what has been mentioned already, it all depends on what you wish to achieve with your backups, such as high quality, full disc, working menus and the like.

I personally think for a backup of a purchased dvd, the most important thing is, is to retain the 'bulk' , that is the movie only and forget all the other menus, extras, subtitles etc etc.
    That way you retain as much of the original quality as possible (unless you backup to DL, then it is a full disc and not worth wasting the space by compressing).

I'll tell you what I use then:
    Dvd Decrypter - File mode, select movie only
    Dvd2One - Set target size at 4400Mb
    Recordnow Deluxe suite - The burn, and flawless.....

Hope this helps..............

6. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Best quality:Cinema Craft.

Best as far as ease of use:clonedvd2.

Best as far as price:dvdshrink/dvddecrypter.

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have used shrink and decrypter with no problems, no coasters. Just follow the guide laid out by Rotary. I just do main movie only, like I said I don't know how much better it could get the quality is just like the original. Just use quality media to burn it to and you should have no probs!!!---zen-->

8. kevin19

kevin19 Member

Open Dvd Decrypter, decrypt it then open dvd shrink find the temp. file open it and back it up its that simple

9. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

I am looking for the best quality for an entire disk.
    I have tried DVDXCopy and I'm not too fond of the quality.
    DVDFab I tried better quality but issues playing the DVD's.
    I have been using ANYDVD with DVDShrink/Nero and doing the deep analsys and I have been quite happy with the quality. Is there anything else out there with great quality but a little faster rip times?

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

probably not? for fast ripping or keeping fast ripping / burning times.

but i believe that The best is RB/CCE. RB (Dvd Rebuilder) is free but CCE basic (Cinema Craft Encoder) costs $58 US.

as mort81 says! but it takes longer, i never use it as i only keep main movie and some big movie only seems good to go with shrink etc...

11. sadsac

sadsac Guest

What about clonedvd2?

bbmayo says the quality and ease of use is terriffic. There's a free 21 day trial download if you want to try it. I'm gonna try it as soon as I get some extra time......which may be a long time.

12. prospeed

prospeed Member

@PvtJoker
    With out doubt the quality is with DVDRB/CCE combo.

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

1) RB/CCE - best picture quality period, especially where a lot of compression is required. Will compress complete dvd9 to a dvd5 without any noticable loss of quality. About the same speed as DVD Shrink (with quality enhancements checked) or maybe just a little faster.

2) Intervideo DVDCopy3 - about twice as fast as shrink (with quality enhancements checked). 21 day full functional trial.

3) CloneDVD2 - comparable to DVDCopy3 but vidio quality not quite as good at higher compression levels.

4) Nero Recode2 - comes with nero6 ultra edition or oem suite 3. Requires a ripper on copyright protected movies (dvdd, anydvd, dvd 43, smartripper). Same author as Dvd Shrink.

5) Dvd Shrink - FREE. Requires a ripper on newer forms of copyright protection. No longer updated.

There's a lot of others out there but these are the ones I own or have tried.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

can DVDRB/CCE use the latest CCE v270.02.00 (on its own? or need a loader app?) and is it faster????

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi Rotary,

I don't know. You might pm jdobbs, Rockas, or vurbal. I use CCE basic.

16. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

Is Recode2 any better then Shrink? Is there a certain version Nero Ultra 6? I have Nero Ultra 6 buy I don't see the Recode2 app.

I think I will lool into DVD rebuilder.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

PvtJoker,

Open Nero, click on photo & video. One of the choices is Recode DVD-Vidio.

Some say it is better than dvd shrink. I don't use it much so really can't say. It has a few more advanced features like burn on the fly.

18. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

I opened Nero and I do not see anything called Recode DVD-Video.

Are there any guides for DVDRB/CCE?

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

nero recode is in package 2 from nero site!

ftp.de.nero.com/NVE-3.1.0.0.exe

go there and get it!

20. PvtJoker

PvtJoker Regular member

I downloaded and installed 6.6.0.8. I still do not see an option called "Recode DVD-Video".