1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner, NEC 3500a problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Ryder, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Ryder

Ryder Member

Hi, bought this DVD burner the other day and came to install it yesterday. I thought all was going well as it was opening, green light was coming on at the start, et cetera; but for some reason it isn't being detected by the PC.

I'm not entirely sure what could have gone wrong, I have my LiteOn CD-Rw connected to it, which was previously connected to an LG DVD-Rom drive which I had no problems with. When I went to put the NEC 3500a in, I just swopped the cables (not really knowing what they were for), from the LG for the NEC. The one with yellow/red wires, and the big one which seems to connect them both.

Anything I should have done regarding wires? Something I didn't plug in correctly?

Any help's appreciated!

-Ryder

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Look at the jumper settings on the drive you removed. If it was set as "slave", you probably should set the new DVD burner as "master" and use the cable end now pluugged into the CD-R. Reset the CD-R to slave and connect with the remaing cable plug. Thus the new drive will be master and the CD-R as slave.
    If Cable Select was the jumper setting, all of the drives should have jumpers indicating this setting. Then if things still don't work right, could still try reversing the order of drives connecting to the flat cable.
    If all of the above fails, it is possible that two burners won't coexist on the same IDE channel in your system and you'll have to take out the CD-R and put the DVD-ROM back in (as a slave or cable select jumper setting as the case may be).

3. hbkhhh69

hbkhhh69 Member

I am having problems too. I have Ritek G04 but I can only burn at 1.6x but Nero says its burning at 4x but DVD Decrypter really burns slow as well and it even admits it burns at 1.6x. I just got service pack 2, it didnt solve the prob, what do I do?

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I can burn the G04's fine @ 4x and I'm using the 3500A and have SP1. I'd recommend updating the firmware. That may help.

5. hbkhhh69

hbkhhh69 Member

I have downloaded and used the latest firmware, v2.18 also I recently got forceASPI and I re-installed my nero. Hope it works, I am going to test a disc soon. I also have DMA mode on from before.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004