1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burner not working right

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by tkeaton, Oct 14, 2004.

1. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

I have a pioneer dvr-s606 external burner and dvdx copy gold. I have used it just fine in the past to make copies of movies. my computer started running really slowly so we set it back to original settings. now when I try to to burn a copy (it reads it from the burner) and when it asks for a blank dvd, the computer only recognizes the burner as a cd drive. it won't recognize any of the dvd+/-r or dvd+rw. any ideas? thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Did you update all your drivers after you restored the original setting, specifically chipset and USB?

3. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

no. i don't think there were any that came with writer. i'll check

4. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

I don't know what the chipset and usb things are. the dvdr was a plug and play, nothing to install. is there another program I can use to copy things?

5. Nephilim

Chipset drivers are those for the chipset on the motherboard of your PC and they can make quite a difference.

For the USB drivers I'd check the Microsoft Update page.

As far as other burning apps you can do a lot better than XCopy. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are both outstanding apps and they're free too :)

6. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

I have uploaded the latest microsoft updates. i also downloaded the decryptor and dvd shrink. I read on the websight that I need to download an aspi thing.( as you can tell I am pretty technical) I went to the websight and downloaded the closet thing I could find. it was described as a api. it is nerosdk-v1.05. is this the right thing?
    thanks. tony

7. Nephilim

8. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

is dvd shrink supposed to burn or do i have to use nero. I have dvdx gold and ulead moviefactory2se(which i have not used before,free software)

9. Nephilim

DVD Shrink doesn't have it's own burning engine but it's set up to use Nero, DVD Decrypter or Copy To DVD to burn.

DVD Decrypter is a great choice since it's free. After you hit the Backup! button you can choose "ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter" from the "Select backup target" drop down :)

10. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

thanks, i'll see if I can get it to go on the decryptor

11. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

thanks for the help. I was finally able to burn a movie. I went through dvd shrink and then used nero express to burn it. it takes a lot longer and has a lot more steps than dvdx copy, but it works. I tried a new movie last night and shrink would not work on it. I think it was a copy security thing. I was going to use dvd decryptor, but it is too large. the directions say to go to the forums to find out how to use it when the files are too big but I didn't see exactly where to go. do you know how to do this or where written directions are? thanks. Tony

12. Nephilim

You can use Decrypter to rip the film no matter the size then open it up in Shrink using the "Open Files" button right next to the "Open Disc" button :)

13. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

i thought maybe that would work. thanks

14. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

sorry, I have more questions. two of the movies I have tried to copy have copy protection on them. I used decryptor to read them. then I tried to use shrink. when I use decryptor it shows under the c-drive two things. the first is a page with a corner flipped over and a disc on it. It is labeled OLD_SCHOOL. the next one is a page with a corner flipped over with a screen with a blue line at the top and a red and blue dot on it. it is labeled OLD_SCHOOL.MDS. what is the difference between the two? when you pick one of them it automatically says you should have picked a certain one and it will do it for you.
    on the shrink when I try to find the folder from it being decrypted it shows a folder OLD_SCHOOL
    and two subfolders. one is AUDIO_TS. the other is VIDEO_TS. when I try to open it(do anything with it) it shows
    encountered error and cannot continue
    failed to open file........
    system cannot find file specified
    do you have any advise? I cannot find the files labeled like in decrytpter. I was able to copy something just through shrink without a problem(must not have been protected) I am not sure what I am doing wrong, if anything

15. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

sorry, I have more questions. two of the movies I have tried to copy have copy protection on them. I used decryptor to read them. then I tried to use shrink. when I use decryptor it shows under the c-drive two things. the first is a page with a corner flipped over and a disc on it. It is labeled OLD_SCHOOL. the next one is a page with a corner flipped over with a screen with a blue line at the top and a red and blue dot on it. it is labeled OLD_SCHOOL.MDS. what is the difference between the two? when you pick one of them it automatically says you should have picked a certain one and it will do it for you.
    on the shrink when I try to find the folder from it being decrypted it shows a folder OLD_SCHOOL
    and two subfolders. one is AUDIO_TS. the other is VIDEO_TS. when I try to open it(do anything with it) it shows
    encountered error and cannot continue
    failed to open file........
    system cannot find file specified
    do you have any advise? I cannot find the files labeled like in decrytpter. I was able to copy something just through shrink without a problem(must not have been protected) I am not sure what I am doing wrong, if anything
    thanks
    Tony

16. Nephilim

Shrink should be able to open the VIDEO_TS folder using the "Open Files" tab but in order to open an ISO image (that's the one that comes with the .mds) you need to go to File > Open disc image then browse to the ISO :)

17. tkeaton

tkeaton Member

sorry, I must be a real pain. I still am not able to find it in shrink. mostly the files that are accessible are programs or settings. maybe sometime I can call you sometime and you can talk me through it. I have pulled it off onto the desktop to see what it will do and see if I could drag it over. that did not work either. it did say that windows did not recognize the file because it did not know what program it was created by when I tried to open it. nothing ever seems to work right when I get in front of this computer. Tony