1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner only reads/burns CDs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Rayzyn, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Rayzyn

Rayzyn Member

On a Optorite DD1205 DVD Burner

Hello, ive bought this drive about 1 week ago. Burned loads of DVD+/-Rs (about 20).

Now when i put any type of DVD disc (blank or not) it almost freezes my PC (AMD Athlon XP 2400 w/ 512mb ram)

I have tried real Movies, Backups on DVD-R and DVD+R but it does the same thing. When i insert real CDs or CD-R/W it works.

What is the problem here? I have checked all cables etc. Everything seems to be fine. Is this a software or firmware error or something?

i remember the last DVD that worked was a real copy of Mr Deeds. I remember an installer for interactual player or something came up, and i didnt install it. Could this have done something to my DVD capabilities?

2. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

i have a similar problem with a different drive, it has worked fine for about 4 months now and i upgraded firmware about a month or 2 ago with no trouble.

only last week i burned a cd using nero which failed the burn process half way in. i didnt think anything unusual until i next came to burn a cd. now the drive thinks that there is no blank disc in when there is one in. it also refuses to read any brand of cdr that i insert.

original cd's work fine and dvd playback and burning are all working as usual.

i dont want to have to send the drive back because it will be a few weeks until a replacement arrives.

any ideas???