1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burner purchase

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by socko103, Jan 28, 2005.

1. socko103

socko103 Guest

i want to purchase a dvd burner for my pc, but i have a pentium 3 with 600mhz. Will it be possible to do so.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'm using a laptop with a Centrino (which I think is pretty equivalent to a Pentium) 600 MHz, 512 MB RAM with great results, but it takes a while. Make sure you get at least 256 MB RAM, but that's even cutting it pretty close. The more the better.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I know people doing dvd backups with a 500 mhz processor but they have at least 512 mb of ram. Just don't expect to fly through the complete process and make sure you don't multi-task or surf the web. Your processor will be maxed out while burning.

Jerry

4. socko103

socko103 Guest

I have 256 Ram, so that might be enough. Cant it be cleared off after burning the dvd?

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

You can clear your RAM by rebooting your computer. Don't multitask and expect compression of movies to go very very slooooooooooooow.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

My backup pc is a celeron 598 mhz,256 mbs non-ecc rimm,and about 30 gigs extra hard drive space.That extra hard drive comes in handy. Did entire friday night lights under 2 hours and passion of the christ,main movie only under an hour,all at 4x,not bad.Windows xp home os.dvd shrink,nero,and dvd decrypter.No background apps running,internet shut off,no enhancements used.

That baby came in handy after a power surge during an ice storm, wiped out 1 gig of my ram on my main pc.

Later