1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner quit working when Norton Update downloaded

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mwelicka, Sep 19, 2004.

1. mwelicka

mwelicka Member

I have an NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A, FW v1.0.6 which worked great until a few minutes ago when I downloaded the latest Norton updates. Now everytime I put in a DVD I get "No media is present" from DVDInfoPro. I have tried rebooting a couple of times.

A few minutes before the download I had put in a blank Verbatim Disk that I had just bought to see what the code is and it worked fine. Now it won't read it or any other disk, even any I had burned on this burner.

Please Help!!

Mel

2. john179

john179 Active member

You could uninstall the burner and then re install and see if this makes a difference.You can do this by going in to control panel then sytems and then device manager.Click on the drive and you should be able uninstall the drive.Windows will then pick it up when you reboot your system.I would also uninsatll DVDInfoPro before you do the same with your driver and install DVDInfoPro after you have re installed your drive.It could be a simple file Nortons has messed up on the update and this may solve your problem.It is worth a shot any way you never know as computers can be funny at times.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I could be wrong but it seem to recall some packet writing software having a problem with Norton's. If you have a packet writing software such as Nero's Incd unintall. Also do as john suggested and re install your Rom.

4. mwelicka

mwelicka Member

I have uninstalled DVDInfoPro, uninstalled DVD drive, reinstalled drive. Didn't work.

downloaded v1.0.7 of FW and installed. Didn't work.

Called customer support for computer, told me to do what I had already tried and then told me they didn't have any other ideas.

What packet software are you talking about? I do have Nero installed but can't find Nero InCD to uninstall.

I have been using Shrink/Nero to burn and it had been going great.

Do you think I should uninstall or diable Norton?

thanks,
    Mel

5. john179

john179 Active member

If all fails you could have a bad file on your pc some where causing you real problems.It may be something that has real compatabilty problems with Nortons.This is last resort stuff if you can't find any other solution.Re format your hard drive and see if this sorts out the problem.If this does not sort out the problem then it could be a hardware issue which means a fault with your drive which is not working.I have done this myself in the past blamed software i have just installed and has been usually the problem.But now and again it is something else that has caused the problem.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The Greatest football team in the world
    Asus A7V8X-X XP2800+,2x120gb,1.5gb Ram
    Ati 128mb Graphics,Lite-on 411S NEC 2510A
    os windows xp sp1[/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sometimes a bad file is also easily gotten rid of. try this go to C:\windows\temp and delete everything in it. Temp files weren't meant to last anyways.

7. john179

john179 Active member

Yep totally agree with you there Sophocles.Re format is the last resource as i said but will help to indicate the problem if all else fails.

8. mwelicka

mwelicka Member

I am beginning to think that Norton has nothing to do with it and it is a hardware issue. I have XP and did a system restore back to Saturday which would have put everything back to before the Norton Update and still no luck, The DVD won't read anything. The computer is less than 30 days old so I will take it back to where I bought it from tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Mel

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Try ininstalling your drive and then reboot.

10. mwelicka

mwelicka Member

Did that, didn't work.

11. john179

john179 Active member

windows xp restore does not always take everything back to as it was.I can update many things like excel spread sheets and go back without any adjustment to spread sheets.Xp restore is good but not that good so don't bank on it removing everything.I would back up all your important stuff and reformat if all else fails.If this does not work it has to be a hardware problem.

12. mwelicka

mwelicka Member

Thank you everyone for you help.

I took the computer back to where I bought it and they determined it was the Drive. They are sending it in to get the drive replaced.

Mel

13. john179

john179 Active member

Glad you got everything sorted

John179