1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner Skipping During Burning?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Gtacticz, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Gtacticz

Gtacticz Member

Okay, I have a HP 740b Lightscribe DVD Writer. Lately I have been getting bad burns. I have updated my Firmware to the latest, which I think is HJ24. I also have been using Verbatim media. Could it be that the burner is dying out? or is the DVD writer lens dirty?

The dvds, which are now coasters, have skip marks. Like a circle around the core of the dvd.

Also, Am I able to state what burning software I am using in this section?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

on the top side or bottom side?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

heres the pointed question.. what noises does the burner make while trying to burn one of these faulty disks?

I have a cd drive that always skips forward 2 seconds at precisely 48 seconds.. the worm drive screw has a nick in one of the teeth.

4. Gtacticz

Gtacticz Member

@DXR88 its on the bottom side.

@ps355528 well prior to this, the burner has always made a slight humming sound. I will have a look for any nicks. also i tried burning another dvd+r, this time there was no mark, but the dvd is unreadable.

5. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

sounds like it miss calibrated itself, and the laser started scraping the disks in which case the laser is toast and your going to need a new drive. just pick up a drive from new egg for 20 bucks.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I just want to find something out.. because I have seen some dvd recorders do damn strange things to disks in the past..

These marks.. are they actually physical damage to the disk or are they like lots of individual tracks of burned data across the disk?

there is supposed to be a gap between the very first ring on the inside of a burned dvd and the start of the data.. it's the divider between the disk identifier data and the start of the track.

7. Gtacticz

Gtacticz Member

@ps366628 no I don't think its any physical damage, just it leaves a portion of the disc unwritten and then continues writing. Yeah I know where the data starts writing on the disc, but the mark/skip starts about midway.

@DXR88 lol yeah looks like I need a new dvd drive.

8. gbroman

gbroman Regular member

Thats interesting, as is this thread because I had the problem Gtacticz mentions a year or so ago when I had an Asus dual layer lightscribe multi DVDRAM RW...a BR1418 I think it was and also on a Pioneer D112 DL RW that I have now. I also have a LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50 that I bought as the Pioneer was grating like a frog when I put either a new blank TDK DVD-R in te drive or when I tried to play a recorded DVD. Cleaning the lens didn't fix the grating sound. Like a frog croaking for a second at a time.
    Anyway, I noticed that the DVD wasn't being written to, but there would be a thin perfect circle about a quarter mm wide about 1 to 2 mm from the hub and the disc would be ejected with message that writing failed. This ring was like the disc had been written too but the disc was now useless.
    It was a serious pain in the buttt......I bought the LG and even that seems to have problems reading a data disc.
    But yeah, those rings, I remember a while back burning discs on the Asus and there would be a collection of them, some thin, some thick,all the way across the face of the disc, the side that is written to and the disc was useless.
    I thought that it was caused by the laser not working properly of the software malfunctioning.
    Or that the disc was being scratched by something, like the laser or its mountings.
    I haven't had the problem recently, thank gawd

I'm using W7 X64 Ultimate
    Gigabyte MA-74GM-S2 AM3
    AMD AM3 Athlon 11 X4 630 2.8GHz (Propus core)
    4GB Adata DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHz Dual Channel unganged
    Gigabyte Nividia GeForce 7300GS 128MB(a weakness in system...am upgrading to a EVGA GTS450 EVGA nVidia GeForce GTS450 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E next month)
    Cooler Master Xtreme Power 550Watt PSU
    2x1TB Seagate Sata2 Internal HDD + 2x1TB Seagate External Expansion HDD

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Interesting.. I have seen it on standalone dvd recorders more than actual pc burners. The disks look like a collection of individual tracks instead of one nice smooth burn.

Tested on a pc the drive burned flawlessly so I think it's some sort of software/drive firmware conflict of some kind.

I would be tempted to reflash the drive firmware first off.. even with the same as current.. then replace the connecting cable.. sata or ide.. just swap it for another. Tests show me that it isn't actually hardware related inside the drive.. something else causes it.

10. jecoy2011

jecoy2011 Member

You should change you DVD burning software. No need to fixed already corrupted and giving you problems software where you can replace them with a better and free ones. I am using ImgBurn for burning any files (videos, audio, applications, etc) and DVD decrypter to burn my ISO files. I've been using them quite a long time already and they always satisfies me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011