1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner wont read most discs...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by IceCream, Oct 25, 2004.

1. IceCream

IceCream Member

My brother has a HP burner and when we try to play dvds with only a few scratches that have been rented his burner wont read the discs. They work fine on his PS2 and my dvd-rom so is this standard of burners to be very picky when it comes to simply reading the discs? Thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try cleaning the laser head of burner & try using scratch remover on the dvds

3. IceCream

IceCream Member

Hmmm I'll have to look into this "scratch remover" thing. Do "scratch removers" actually make the dvd look scratchless and fresh?? Thanks again

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

doesn' really remove the scratch as buffs it out or smooths it out so the laser head can read thru scratch to info under top of disc. the scratch remover is a solution put on to disc put into a spinner? then spins the cd/dvd buffing out the scratch. check radio shack, walmart or whatever

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... It probably would be a good idea to invest in a DVD-ROM drive ... They're much better at reading the commercially "pressed" discs than a burner is, and are relatively inexpensive ... Also, you save wear and tear on the burner ...