1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burners and which one is the best!!!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by gerard514, Feb 4, 2005.

1. mlvideo

mlvideo Member

I use the EPSON R200 to print on DVD's. The EPSON R200 and the R300 have the same Print engfine and resolution, the only major difference is that the R300 has a card slot reader and costs $100 more. If you do not print photos off a card buy the less expensive R200. On DVD's I use Ritek (Ridata) and ProDisc DVD's from supermediastore.com, good price great quality in over1500 ProDisc (silver inkjet printables) I have only had about 20 duds (some prob my fault)

2. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

What is the quality like of pictures when printing on a silver disc? I had thought white would give a better picture?

Would anyone else agree or disagree with me, as im still trying to make a decision of one type of media to buy and stick with.

3. olamite

olamite Regular member

thanks for info on memorex dvd+r's,i grabbed them anyway cuz i got them on a super sale,so far they've worked in every dvd player i've put them in,old and new, but they didnt work in xbox,but no +r's work in my xbox.i must have beginners luck!lol

4. Paxil

Paxil Member

$219.99 for a Plextor? Paid $59.99 for my Lite-On 1633s (dual layer, 16X etc.) and it's awesome. Just got it 2 days ago and every backup(so far) has been flawless. Using Ridata DVD+R's 4X with Decrypter and Shrink.

5. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I have seen many using the lite on brand how are they from other users point of view???

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Two days experience with a drive doesn't give you any grounds to call Lite On a better value or give anyone grief for buying a Plextor. How many backups have you made in two days?

I've owned both Lite On and Plextor drives and can say with certainty that while Lite Ons are an outstanding drive for the money they simply do not have the build quality and and durability of Plextor.

You're giving someone a hard time for buying a Mercedes over a Ford.

7. Dog_Z123

Dog_Z123 Member

Just my 2-cents

I use NEC 3500 16x dual layer, working great for 4 months over many backups, the great thing about this drive is that the firmware can be updated to support DVD-ROM booktype, which will give you maximum compatibility with older players.

for more info on this check this out
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

Another thing that helps with the compatibility is the speed of the burn, the slower the better, 2x will work with even the cheapest dvd players on good dvd+r media like ritec, verbatim, tdk etc. I burn at 4x and 100% of the backups will work on my 3 year old apex dvd player.

8. Paxil

Paxil Member

You see, the thing is, this is actually my second Lite-On drive so I do have some experience with the make (my first one which I've had over a year is still running strong by the way). PC World.Com rated this drive #2 overall in their list of top ten burners as well. However none of that really matters does it? I'm sure I could have bought a Sony or a Samsung or almost any other brand with the same specs and not noticed any real difference performance wise. Lets be honest here. All I'm saying is, with today's prices, why would anyone pay over $200.00 for a burner, external or not? Are you telling me that the Plextor Drive is so superior that it justifies paying an extra $150.00? I'm not trying to knock Plextor drives or anything, just trying to save the guy some money, that's all. To answer your question Nephilim, I have now burned 19 flawless backups and counting! By the way the Lite-On is now only $58.99 at NewEgg. What a bargain!

9. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

I will agree that the Plextor burners are the Mercedes as burners goes. In Canada access to a Plextor burner is a bit more difficult and expensive. Looking for the best bang for the buck, I was introduced to the BenQ burners. They are not a Plextor but do have a number of advantages.
    Like the Liteon burners they are capable for testing your DVD burn for quality and performance.
    They support bit setting - the ability to burn a +R DVD looking like a DVD Rom. A great feature to increase the playabilty across many stand alone players. ( http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150 )
    And according to some reviewers the best +R burner on the market

Everyone, based on their experiences have favourite burners, media, software and methods to successfully back up their entertainment.

I have had great success using +R media (mainly RICOHJPNR01) and using bitsetting to DVD-ROM.
    But I only play back the entertainment on a 27 in Sony TV. My methods may not have as good a success on a big screen TV.

There is a lot of quality equipment out there on the market. The key is to pick the unit in your price range to satisfy your needs. I love test driving Jag's BMW's and Mercedes, however my 1992 Crown Vic has provided me with a great ride for the last three years and I still have some money for other toys

Just my two cents worth

10. Nephilim

If you haven't noticed, gerard bought an external which is more expensive no matter what make it is. An internal Plextor 716A goes for around $120 so now that we're comparing apples to apples, yes I absolutely believe that the extra $60 is worth it. It's all well and good you trying to save him some money but, again if you haven't noticed he already purchased the drive so it's a moot point.

Am I saying that Lite Ons are bad drives? No, I already stated that they're very good drives for the money. Am I saying that there are better drives? Absolutely. If $120 is too steep for the 716A then go for the new Pioneer 109 which is going for $89 and if that's still too steep then get a Lite On and burn with confidence.

I'll be honest - it definitely matters. To a certain extent you get what you pay for when buying a DVD burner. What's the difference you ask? The difference lies with not only the quality of the components but the quality of the firmware and the frequency of the upgrades. Firmware can make or break a drive. Crappy firmware will cause media incompatibility, poor/failed burns and power calibrations to name the most common. Optorite and LG owners are frequent visitors here trying to get their buners to work.

11. Nephilim

PlexTools Professional that comes with retail Plexors supports quality checks similar to Lite On's K-Probe ;)

12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Nephilim, I got my Plextor 716-A for what amounts to less than $100 US with the rebate. Since I got mine 2 weeks ago, the price dropped another $18. Would I get anything other than a Plextor, at that price? NOPE. But then again, I have had nothing but Plextors since I got my first Plextor CD reader, about 6 or 7 years ago.

13. Paxil

Paxil Member

Well I definitely agree with you as far as the Optorite and LG drives go. I also hear what your saying Nephilim, as far as quality components etc., however, it just seems to me (now this is just my opinion) that the Plextor drives are just a bit overpriced when compared to certain other lower priced drives that perform just as well. Maybe just a little overhyped, know what I mean?

I am certainly not saying that any one drive is better than another, everyone has their favorites of course, and we defend them to the end.

If the measure of a good drive is how long it lasts, then it's really hard to say which is the best. I've seen "high end" drives(including plextors) die young, and cheaper "low quality" drives last forever.

Just my opinion. Now let me have it Plextor People!

14. Nephilim

All very good points :)

It really boils down to what qualities the individual values the most. There're certainly folks out there who think the extra money spent on a Plextor is a waste and then there are the semi-fanatical Plextor nuts who'll settle for nothing less :p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  15. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Very good discuision and debates set forth here. I still have my plextor unopened in the box in case i wanted to return it without getting restocking fee. I have heard not only from here but from my older brother that plextor specifically deals with computer products and thats what makes them good. For example sony is not only burners but tvs vcr dvds etc. So plextor has more time to spend in developing good quality products.Does anyone else agree with this>

16. Nephilim

I totally agree. Plextor's been doing just optical drives for a long long time so if anybody knows what makes a good drive it's them :)

17. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

When you put the orignal dvd in your dvd drive which one do you use to read the disk? WOuld this make a difference in the quality of the disk? I have a laptop with a dvd+r/rw...and i have been putting the originals in there and then out to the plextor or should i just put the originals in the plextor?

Thanks for your help,

18. Nephilim

It doesn't make much difference which drive reads the disc so you're fine the way you're doing it :)

19. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Thanks again Nephilim your a pro at this ,,

20. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

1))))))

A new question but easy to answer. What is the difference with princo disc? Are they just as good or a little poorer in quality compared to verbatium. Has anyone use these discs and if so any known issue or problems with them?

2))))))

Also i was using the maxell dvd-r 8x disc burning at 4x speed. I always notice skipps and pauses on a certain dvd player that i have within the movie it is almost constant. I tried it at my girlfriends house and was doing the same thing. Of course this is the same dvd player, they are norestar (i think) dvd players. Werent very high in cost i bought it from her mother at about 20.00. Anyone have a clue why they would skip i tried it on my pc and they worked fine.