1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burners

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Lightwave, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Lightwave

Lightwave Member

Sorry if im not posting in the right section, but i've tried looking but just can't find the right threads. Is there a list of suggested DVD Burners out there? If not any recomendations? Preferably with DL capabilities for future purposes.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Plextor....that's all you need to know.

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Pioneer or Plextor, you will not go far wrong. I cannot believe how cheap burners are nowadays. My first Sony, a 510a, was $400 or so dollars 2 years ago. Now look at the prices!! My 3 108s & my plextor ROM cost less collectively!

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I would have to throw NEC into that mix also.. I have
    NEC - ND3520A
    LiteOn - SOHW-1633S
    Pioneer - DVR-109
    Plextor - Px716sa

All are pretty good drives, but for all around drives I would say my Pioneer is the best for the average user. The Plextor is my favorite, but a lot of people don't have SATA capability on there mobo so the extra card that would be needed is a bit of trouble for the average user. So that is why I would say the Pioneer for the average user but if you know your way around a computer a little then the Plextor is the way to go.
    Plextor - All around fast and dependable
    Pioneer - Rips DVD's very well burns good
    NEC - Not very good at ripping, but awesome burner
    LiteON - Good ripper, decent burner

These are all just my personal experience with these drives and just my opinion :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  6. Lightwave

Lightwave Member

thanx for the info guys, i think i'll go with the Plextor. My mobo has SATA but i've never used it. i hope it's as easy to set up as an IDE... one more question for you guys. i've been using GO4s for a while now and have been truly reliable. If i bump up to the GO5s, is it safe to burn movies on 8x speed and have the reliability of no coasters as in GO4s?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Do a search on here alone and you will see people are having problems with the G05's. The G04's I believe are still good. You may want to go with some Taiyo Yudens for the best quality :)

8. Lightwave

Lightwave Member

Hmmm, thanx for the advice, i think i'll try out a batch of TYs to see. Hope the price is like GO4s. Can you recomend a sight for purchasing Taiyo Yudens?

9. Lightwave

Lightwave Member

Ooops, i forgot to read your fine print. i'll check out your link to find them, thanx man!!!