1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burning and Write Protection

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dgr, Sep 14, 2004.

1. dgr

dgr Guest

Hi I'm new to this so be kind.

I have just got a DVD Burner and want to be able to copy write protected DVD movies. Can anyone help.

The DVD Burner is an external iomega super DVD Writer 12x Dual Format USB 2.0 Drive.

2. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

its simple... go here download it
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    DVD SHRINK ... its free. It will encode the computer onto your hard drive (rip) then you can use a burning program to burn the movie. I use nero. Most movies you copy i would suggest just burning the actually movie. You will see it in DVD shrink when you go to re-authorize it. Just drag the movie over. You can keep all the extras out. Some movies you can copy the entire movie. Look at the compression rate. It the compression rate is below 70% i tend to notice some quality problems. You can uncheck some boxes you dont need also. Like spanish and frech languages. Good luck!
    -Keith

3. dgr

dgr Guest

thanks for the help.

4. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Hello DGR
    Now, I'm gonna do a no-no and plagerize this thread,,, lol,, This is ScubaPetes wonderful and witty guide to backing up a commercial DVD

Kaa Ching, Kaa Ching -

Today's your lucky day, you just hit the ScubaPete Jackpot for Newbies -

Grab a seat, it's time to relax and read up on a, here we go, step by step - it can’t fail, “Uncle” ScubaPete’s can’t miss “We’re going ta burn a DVD backup right now, youngin’s’” Guide to backing up :p).

First create a folder for your HD backup. . This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:\All DVD Work\”Pirates on the North Shore of Alaska”).

Next download DVD Decrypter and under mode select "ISO, Write". Un-tick the box that says "Verify". Where it says, "source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.
    Here’s the link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4260" and "4300MB" - we do this to make sure that we don't write too close to the edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK"

Here’s the link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD blank media, THIS IS IMPORTANT. Poor quality DVD blanks are responsible for a host of copying errors and hence, failures. Look for a thread dealing with backup media where we'll discuss DVD media in depth. But for now, PLEASE acquire some of the following. Recommended media for use with this Beginner's guide. Quality media would be Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife Plus, Ridata or any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO". – As I mentioned, we'll go into more on proper media in another thread.. This might be a good time to use a DVD RW. We won't use them regularly because for 1, many DVD players don't play them and 2, they cost too much (Lol). We do want to use them because if we make a mistake, it won't cost us a disc. When we get our steps down we'll then switch to our single-write media.

Now let’s burn a DVD. Today we're doing a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top, right-hand area of DVD Shrink's program. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" . Now, under "Quality Settings, "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" there you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working.

* There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner may result in errors during processing :-(

Remember, when you want a guide with personality, Shop ScubaPete
    Enjoy, and when you're done, I'll point you in the direction for getting rid of those trailers and such - once you've gone through this, the other stuff takes about 2-3 extra minutes :)

And yes, you’re darn Skippy, you better come on back and let us know how you made out :p)

Cheers,

Pete

This was written by ScubaPete,,, it works and is easy to follow,, I hope this helps
    Hank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gateway 2.5ghz P4 XP SP2
    DVD Shrink, dvd decrypter, Nero 6
    LGE 4020b Ritek GO4's DVDInfoPro
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

[​IMG]
    "I often visit the State of Confusion, and I know my way [/small]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  5. dgr

dgr Guest

Wow, an even bigger thanks for your help.

6. dgr

dgr Guest

Well what can I say, I used ScubaPetes wonderful and witty guide to backing up a commercial DVD

Kaa Ching, Kaa Ching -

And it was my lucky day.

I used the step by step and burned my first copy. Finally I've lost my cherry.

Many thanks for all the help.

7. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

scuba pete is the man!