1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by markjd11, Mar 21, 2005.

1. markjd11

markjd11 Member

i decided to post this because ive already wasted about 13 dvd's. Anyway, to give some background ive got a Hp 630 dvd writer, plenty of harddrive space, 2.56 ghz.I use dvdshrink and dvd decrypter, and have done plenty of dvd backups with no problem. My problem is as follows: Ive used dvd shrink to get the images or several DVD's. That part went fine. Then trying to burn the images, it starts out fine, then at about 3% the write speed will just drop to zero, and time remaining says unknown. It does this for all the images I have right now. The blank Dvd-R's(TDK) im using have worked fine for several burns before this. I tried using nero to see if that would work, but it dies too. I've tried uninstalling the DVD drive and reinstalling to see if that works, but it doesn't. Could both DVD images be messed up somehow (they're single ISO files). Should I try some different DVd's? Thanks for any help given

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Check out your DMA settings
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/DMA.html

If that doesnt work then here are a few other suggestions.
    - Update your drives Firmware
    - Try burning the ISO as files onto your HD using Shrink. Just to make sure the ISO's are indeed still good.
    - Try backing up another DVD you know has worked in the past.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  3. markjd11

markjd11 Member

my DMA setting are good. I just updated my firmware, but that wasn't the cause because I had a successful burn after that, before things started going awry. I'll try the other 2 sugestions and get back to you

4. markjd11

markjd11 Member

the backup of the ISO file went fine, using dvdshrink. Also when i do a test run and not a burn using dvd decrypter it works, only when im actually burning does it fial.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you absolutly sure your running in DMA mode?

and those disk's you have you have used before with no problems?

You need to uninstall your IDE controllers and reboot just to be sure your in DMA mode.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You need to try to just burn anything to a DVD like some data. Maybe your documents and a bunch of stuff.. We need to see if it might be possible that your drive is going bad.. ?? Hope not

Maybe clean the lens on the DVDRW (some compressed air will do the trick)

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try bbmayo's suggestions and then try some different media, and... while you are at it, get some DVD-RWs so you can re-use the disc if something goes wrong. You have made enough coasters.

Normally you would get some sort of error message...have you gotten any? IMHO DMA will cause speed issues but should not cause a burn to fail unless you get a buffer underrun because the transfer mode is not fast enough to keep it filled. Pretty much any buffer underrun will give you a buffer underrun error though.

Most programs do a pretty good job of looking over what you intend to burn. There is a file sorting process that puts them in the right sequence for burning. Any problems in this area will also give you an error message.

It seems in this case your burner is making a valiant attempt to write to a disc that for some reason refuses to be written to. It can't give an accurate time remaining indication unless some progress is being made. While all this is going on, running OPCs are occuring. You are apperently not having a problem with the drive's laser or you would be getting an OPC error.
    I don't have a very good opinion of TDK discs. I had some that were not even recognized as DVDs. It would not suprise me if you looked closely at your coasters you might even be able to see some blotches in the dye.

Nero will give you a burn log. Can you cut and paste it into a reply?

8. markjd11

markjd11 Member

alright, it also crashes when trying to just burn data, and i just noticed that i should have copied the burn log, my mistake. Im fresh out of DVD's, so ill buy some more.....ill definately get a couple RW's as well. Maybe some different DVD's will help. but like i said these DVD's worked before so I dont know what the deal is. As for the errors, with decrypter its an I/O error the one with the long list of numbers and what not, i dont remember exactly it said. I cant believe the DVD drive is dirty cause its only a couple weeks old.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Howdy bb!
    I think between both of us we have narrowed it down to somewhere between the tip of the laser and the surface of the disc.

Thats pretty narrow!
    I help a guy once who had one of those white spacer discs that comes with a cake of DVDs stuck in his drive. the thing had a big enough hole in the center that the burn would actually start, get to about 2-3% and then fail. I don't know if he was b.s.-ing me or not!

10. markjd11

markjd11 Member

Alright, I found one more DVD, and trying burning some data with nero. It lasted for about 15 seconds then died. I thought the log was too big to put in here so here's a link to it. http://www.wam.umd.edu/~markjd/log1.htm

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'm getting a dang 404 error when I try to open your page.

It is perfectly alright to cut and paste the entire thing into a reply. Just edit any Nero Serial Numbers out. They usually start with 1a23 or 1a25 etc.

12. markjd11

markjd11 Member

i fixed the link

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It works!

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Nothing that indicates anything other than what it says-a write error.

You could try slowing the burn speed down but I don't think thats the problem. Most burners will adjust the speed as needed to write to the disc. In your case the burner is adjusting itself to a speed of zero.

You have done everything but try different media. I think it is time to try some Ritek or Verbatim as well as the RWs.

The burn is failing after lead-in and a couple of minutes into the track. Unless your new burner is defective, which happens, I'd say it's bad media.

15. markjd11

markjd11 Member

thanks for all the help, ill do some testing with different media and post my findings

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah looks like your burning at max speed x8 should slow it down and see how it goes then.
    When ever you are having problems slow the burn speed down!

1. Do you have any packet writing software installed (InCD)? If so get rid of them.

2. Try blowing a little compressed air in your drive it is possible something got in there. It doesnt have to be much.

3. Uninstall all burning software and choose one to reinstall. then try writing with just that program. To make sure nothing is conflicting.

4. It's very possible to get a bad batch of disk's. Try different media.

5. Also would be a good Idea to put your burner on the primary port (Port 0) most motherboards only support DMA 4 or 5 on this port. This probably isn't your problem, but it will allow for faster burning/reading.

OK I just gave you a few more steps to try hopefully one of these gets you where you need to be :) If not at least we will have eliminated some more possibilities.

17. markjd11

markjd11 Member

OK, i got some new DVD's , verbatims (dvd+r 16x max), and success, both burns went successfully. So note to self never buy TDK's again. I just had one more quick question. My max burn rate i could get out was 9.1, with an average of 6.2 using dvd decrypter. I have a 16x writer. Is there anyway to boost the writing speed? Aside from making the DVD writer the primary cd drive. Could changing some settings in DVD decrypter increase burn rate? thanks

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

About the only things that would effect your burning speed would be. DMA (You may be in DMA 2 mode instead of DMA 4 or 5) to solve that you would most likely have to put that drive on the Primary or IDE 0 port. Could update firmware. Stop all background tasks while burning.

19. markjd11

markjd11 Member

i seem to only have DMA 2 mode, for both primary and secondary. Can i change something to get DMA 4?

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

LOL,, Sorry yeah the motherboard!

It may be that your board supports UDMA. You need to check your manual. If it does you probably need a 80 wire IDE cable to get the full DMA mode 4 or 5..

hint usually your boards IDE 0 port will be a blue connector for UDMA.. :)