1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burning Problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Morris729, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Morris729

Morris729 Member

When attempting to burn a movie onto a DVD, it says it completes the process, but part of the movie is missing. When looking at the back of the DVD, you can see that only a part of the DVD was burned and a large portion of the outter area is untouched.

I was able to successfully burn movies earlier--this problem has only recently started to happen, but now it does happen every single time.

Can anyone help?

2. john179

john179 Active member

You need to give a few more details Morris729 for someone to be able to help you.What burning software your using what you are ripping the dvd on to your hd with and maybe the media your using and type of writer so someone who can advice you can explore all possible causes.

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Morris729........ from what I am getting from your inquiry is that you think that only some of the movie is being recorded and not the full movie! And when you turn the disk over it looks like your burner only recorded some of the movie and there is a big chunk of disk not recorded on. Don't be fooled by this...... many movies on DVD is only a small portion of the DVD! If you are copying Movie Only then sometimes it will show some of the disk not recorded on. It depends on the movie and it's compression to fit onto a DVD5 (single sided blank recordable DVD). If you play this recorded disk and then you see it jump to another part of the movie, and you think it didn't record the whole movie..... then this is called skipping. Skipping or freezing or pixelations has nothing to do with the copying of the DVD other than you chose media that is either cheap, inferior, or just not compatible enough for your burner to record onto! You can remedy this situation by buying the good stuff: Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim! These recordable disks are the best compatible and best quality disks you can get for your burner! You can buy Verbatim in the stores, and Taiyo Yuden (Made in Japan) disks can be bought online at supermediastore.com, rima.com, meritline.com and other reputable online stores. I only use MIJ disks by Taiyo Yuden! And since I started using them I get 100% success rates! here are a few more tid bits about recording and making your DVDs more compatible to most players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck. welcome to Afterdawn.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

4. celtboy

celtboy Guest

OK,BUY HOW DO YOU BURN A MOVIE THAT IS 802MB,IF YOU SAY TO ONLY BUN TO 440MB,I WANT THE DISC TO PLAY ON DVD STAND ALONE??

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

That is why we need all the information up front to begin with. It sounds as if your are working from an .avi and will need to use a program such as DVD Flick to create a DVD compliant file. Once DVD Flick has done it's thing you should have a file that is a few gigs in size and can be burned straight to DVD.

Here is a guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/552742

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Celtboy......... how did you get into this conversation when you didn't start this thread? please don't highjack a thread..... if you have a question start a new thread.....adding your question in the middle of a thread that is trying to help someone with a different problem is frowned upon here and is against forum rules. See how LOCOENG thought you were Morris729 (the person who started the thread)!~ It gets kinda confusing who is helping who when people highjack a thread for their own purposes...... no offense. None intended.

7. celtboy

celtboy Guest

sorry about that,,,,but it's not your biz anyway so nut out... would it be better to post questions of the same topic...rather than get involved in the discussion????

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

@celtboy

Actually it is all of our business since you are the one with who can't work out how to use the search feature of the site or read the rules.

Hijacking, all caps and bad attitude reported!

EDIT: IHOE was more than polite in his response to you...sorry I couldn't have been the same. I hear a rumbling of thunder in the distance.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

celtboy, you got a week ban for that!! read the forum rules as is obvious you haven't. also clean up your attitude.

10. celtboy

celtboy Guest

sorry, im bk,was in jail for a while anyway!! lol