1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Burning Problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bonitah, Jan 9, 2005.

1. bonitah

bonitah Member

I am having a heck of a time getting dvd's to burn properly from my hard drive to disc. I have tried CloneDVD and I have made a lot of coasters...hehe...usually the dvd is recognized by the player but it either stalls or plays back all screwed up...sorta fragmented...if you know what I mean...

the burner is a NU DVDRW DDW-081 (by NuGlobal)

the media I have been using is Benq 4X DVD+R and I also a Benq 8X DVD+R

I tried backing up I, RObot the other day..and it seemed to burn fine..until the very last scene in the movie and it messed up...This is getting frustrating..

any ideas why I can't get a good working burn??

thanks for any help :)

Bonitah

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

WOW... I'm still learning, myself, and I've spend hours, and days (months even)[trying to learn that is]...but your burner, and your media; I ain't even read, or heard of, any-where!
    So there is little I can do to help you, other than, advise you to expand your problems with greater detail, in order that others, with more knowledge, than myself may help.

I just voted you the Freddy of the dvd world. lol

regards g/m

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2005
  3. bonitah

bonitah Member

"WOW... I'm still learning, myself, and I've spend hours, and days (months even)[trying to learn that is]...but your burner, and your media; I ain't even read, or heard of, any-where!
    So there is little I can do to help you, other than, advise you to expand your problems with greater detail, in order that others, with more knowledge, than myself may help.

I just voted you the Freddy of the dvd world. lol"

Well I am certainly glad you found my post so hilarious...too bad you bothered to post at all, given you did nothing except mock someone who simply needed help... Why? Because YOU haven't heard of my burner or my media?? I am very sure my problem is common and there are solutions to be experimented with, regardless of the brand of the burner or media. That is what I was asking for ....suggestions not "shots"

Thanks a pant-load for your help

Bonitah

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi bonita--
    If I were you, I would download DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor--both are right on this site under the software tab and then you can also find guides to use them--I always use Scuba Pete's guides which are available here also--Best of all--this is all free!!
    Good Luck!

5. hursty

hursty Active member

what is that all about??

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I have experienced pixellation at the end of a few movies and I ruled it out as compatibility problems between the media and the dvd player. Try it on different dvd players and if you get the same results, try different media and/or slowing down burn speeds. You're not multitasking while encoding/burning are you?

7. tarmac

tarmac Member

My backups skip right from the beginning, and sometimes they won't play at all. I am in the same boat at yourself, and also very frustrated. I have made many, many coasters. If you find any fixes to this problem, please let me know and vise vesa. Right now I have tried DVDXCopy, 1ClickDVD and Roxio Media.

8. bonitah

bonitah Member

Whitfield, hursty, squizzle and tarmac.. :)

Thanks for your responses..

Whitfield, I do use DVD Shrink, and it works great! I have definitely read Scuba Pete's guides and they have helped a lot, specially when I was trying to back up Resident Evil 2.

squizzle, I don't know what the pixellation thing is from either, but I also have had that on a few discs just a bit, at the very end - strange! The problem with this particular disc was that there was a sorta dead zone..nothing between the trailers and the main menu, it almost gets stuck there...LOL...I haven't had a ton of time to mess with that particular DVD, but I am going to try again today. I have since burnt a few successful discs though!

And definitely NO to the multi-tasking thing..in fact I make sure I turn a bunch of things off prior to "shrinking" or burning..eg: spyware monitors, virus checker...as much as I can turn off..

tarmac, I have had much better luck the last couple of days by using the same programs, but slowing down the burn to 2 - 2.4X (that's the setting in Clonedvd)

The process I have been using to burn is this:
    DVD Region+CSS Free,(mostly because one of the dvds I was backing up gave me a region error, so I have kept using it for all of them) DVD Shrink, (I leave as much of the original disc intact and usually only remove the alternative languages ie: French) and then I burn with CloneDVD. I use CloneDVD because it's so easy...LOL...Plus I think the sheep is sorta cute!! :) The biggest help I think with getting working burns is to slow the burn down..it takes a bit longer but I have had a LOT less coasters the last couple of days!

Another thing... I bought my dvd+r discs in a 50 pack stack, and interestingly enough...one of the burnt discs (a coaster) seemed to have a tiny scratch on it...Now this particular burn I thought I did everything right...including slowing down the burn..but it still was a coaster..quit working after 15 minutes or so...I reburnt it on a fresh disc...(I checked the new disc b4 burning for any kind of blemishes or marks - there was none) and I got a good working burn.

Another thing I think may have an effect on the burns is the condition of the original dvd..I think I got a coaster once because the original dvd was not totally clean...it had a finger print or something on it...

So NOW before I burn, I check the original for finger prints, grime, grease or whatever might be on it...(I clean the disc with a soft cloth if necessary,) and I make darn sure the dvd+r disc is also unmarred and perfect before I burn it.

These are the things that are working for me...
    Hmmm oh yes...one other thing....[bold]I think it's important how you hold your mouth [/bold] while your burning that is really critical! hahahaha... :)

tarmac, I don't use the roxio program, but I think I have heard there are problems with it...don't quote me but I seem to remember something about that.

Interestingly, I remember having failed burns with my first CDRW, and the biggest solution back then was to slow down the burn...Funny how somethings don't change eh??

thanks to all, for your help

bonitah :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

A couple of other ideas. You can customize DVD Shrink to compress it down to 4300 MB, which a lot of people have better results doing. I haven't seen any problems using the default size so I personally don't see a need to change it. Another thing. The more times you process the data, the higher your chances are for error. I normally use only DVD Shrink and then Nero to burn.