1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd burning takes 26hrs????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Aussiemum, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Aussiemum

Aussiemum Member

I have been trying to back up my movie collection. I use dvd-shrink and nero but everytime I try it takes over 26hrs to encrypt and copy but it never finishes can any one help me as I have been told it should only take about 30min to copy a dvd movie. my hard drive is 40gig with 75% free.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Aussiemum ,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Could you give us your computer specs. as 26 hrs really slow. The more info we have the better we can help. We need
    Operating System
    CPU speed
    Amount of Ram
    Burner(model and make)
    Are you using a DVD-Rom to read the movie from

3. Aussiemum

Aussiemum Member

Hi

System is a Pent4, 1500 Mhz processor, 256mg RAM, Windows2000 operating system,
    Burner is Sony DRX-710UL Dual Interface.

Thank for any help

Aussie Mum

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Guy,

I'm assuming you mean encoding as you shouldn't be attempting to copyright (encrypt)a backup.

The last time I saw a time that slow was a friend with a Pent III, 500MHz with 256RAM - even then, it should take about 8 hours.

While you're getting that info for Mike (we really need that), if you're referring to the time you first see when you begin to encode - that time means nothing. A Pent 4, 2,84 GHz processor with 1024MB of RAM will do a backup of an average 7.3 GB or so disc (without Deep Anaylsis and without quality control) in about 30 minutes if I don't multi-task BUT when I first begin to start the backup it says it will take 6 hours. Over the next few minutes the timew grown smaller and smaller.

Did you wait the full 26 hour to do the backup OR are you going by the numbers in the count-down box ?

Pete

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Your drive might be stuck in PIO mode. You can check this out in Device Manager. It should be in DMA or UDMA or Ultra DMA. If it is in PIO, uninstall it and reboot the computer. Windows should find it and install it. If it installs it again in PIO mode, you might not have DMA enabled in your BIOS.