1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD can not be played!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by learnmode, Jun 15, 2004.

1. learnmode

learnmode Member

I burned the master and commander DVD from ISO file and it only can be played on the computer, but can not be played on my sumsung dvd player; so I tried to use dvd shrink to re-author, but it shows error "Invalid DVD navigation structure";
    and I also tried TMPGEnc DVD Author to add main VOB file and burned on dvd, I still can not play it on the samsung dvd player.
    can anyone help me!!!!!

2. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Are you using DVD-R or DVD+R?
    What brand of media are you using?
    Do you know if your Samsung will play either one of these type of discs?
    Take a look on this site and see if the media and dvd player you are using are compatible.
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

3. learnmode

learnmode Member

I used the memorex and philips DVD+R, I used them to backup moives and have no problem.
    does the moive dvd have the video standard that only can be played on NTSC or PAL TV? Or can only be played on HDTV?

4. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

As far as I know NTSC, PAL, and HDTV should not have any effect on the dvd playing in your player, unless you are trying to burn or view a movie that is not set up for your DVD players region.

Does this mean that you have had other back-ups play in your Samsung before? If so, then this may be a problem with the copy of Master and Commander that you have. What does the disc do, when you try to play it in your Samsung Dvd player? What software do you normally use to burn? I know you said you tried Shrink in re-author, but is that the program you normally use to copy with?

5. learnmode

learnmode Member

I have had other back-ups been played in the Samsung before. when I try to play it, there a message "the disc can not be played, check the tv system".I use acohol 120% to burn the ISO and DVDshrink to burn the back-ups.

6. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

When you are copying the disc, does everything work like normal? No error messages or anything weird? Because if everything is working properly and this is the first time you are having a problem then I would be inclined to say that it is the copy of Master and Commander that you have. You may want to try getting another copy of the disc and see if that works.

7. learnmode

learnmode Member

But why I still can play the DVD on my computer?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  8. michigan

michigan Guest

It sounds like your standalone player does not like your media choice. Try another media Memorex is an unreliable brand at best, you never know what you are getting they get their discs from the low bidder. Try Ritek G-04 or Verbatim. Some stand alone pplayers are picky about media but these brandswill nearly always do the trick. It will play on your computer drive because they are not as picky about media as the stand alones.

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

learnmode,

You could try giving the ole samsung a cleaning. They sell dvd cleaner disc for 10 bucks. And like others have suggested try a different media.

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Sounds like a PAL/NTSC thing.

11. max777

max777 Member

I used DVDShrink to make the ISO for Master & Commander, Big Fish, and Last Samuri. I used Nero to burn the ISO.

On several attempts, it plays fine on my 3 computers, and on my Toshiba SD3109 console, but not on my parents Ventura console. Most DVD's don't play on these two consoles anyway, but I'm using media that gave me 90% success before. The only difference this time around is that I'm creating the ISO before burning (DVDShrink). So I'd say try creating the VOB files instead of making an ISO and use Nero or better yet, some other program to burn the VOB files. I've seen problems like this in making CD's where burning an ISO did not produce a solid burn.

Also, Nero usually creates discs that are "not solid" especially when burning ISO's.