1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/CD burner question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dgclough, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dgclough

dgclough Member

I bought a laptop with a DVD/CD burner wanting to experiment with burning DVD's (have done the CD thing with no problems). It is a Compaq Presario R-3000. It has the intervideo software on it. The only time I've played with it NOTHING happened. I've done a little reading up on this site and realize that I was trying to copy an encrypted DVD and that was probably my problem. I understand the problem about DVD media (+ or - etc) and at this time (I'm at work) don't know which my machine takes but what am I doing wrong? Does intervideo need these encryption and shrink programs? Is my burner even a DVD burner???? I'm completely confused!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Not sure which drive you have here is whats listed at HP
    So which do you have?

3. dgclough

dgclough Member

I'm not sure, how do I check?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in device manager than do a search for the info

5. dgclough

dgclough Member

thanks, I'll have to wait until I get home to check, so I'll send the info tomorrow!

6. dgclough

dgclough Member

Ok, all I'm finding is that it is a TEAC DW-224E-A

Thats from device manager, driver properties...

What does that tell anyone?

7. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

It looks like you have the DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive.
    This drive will only read DVD's but will burn CD's.

8. dgclough

dgclough Member

Great...ugh...What would you advise to the beginner (At dvd recording)...to purchase as an internal/external recorder and the program that would be best so that I have the least amount of downloading etc.....

9. jpaugh78

jpaugh78 Member

DVD Shrink with Nero works wonders for backing up DVD's easily. There really isn't much user input involved.

10. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I have a LiteOn and a Pioneer (both internal). I haven't had any problems with them. I use DVD Decrypter, Shrink (both free), AnyDVD and Nero. But what works for some may not for others. If you buy a DVD burner make sure your system has more than the minimum requirements. Burning at 100% CPU usage can cause problems. Also make sure you use good media like Taiyo Yuden.
    You'll need to find what works best for you and stick with it. Believe me with all variables with burning movies it can be a trial by error process.
    Search the boards and read some of the guides. This should give you some more insight

11. dgclough

dgclough Member

thanks! I went and looked last night at the different kinds...Soooo many, didn't even know where to start!

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@dgclough,
    Your best bet in my opinion would be to go to HP and order the intenal <DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support> In my vast experiance when dealing with laptop computers it is best to go with the original manufacturer's devices with your particular laptop beacause they have already done extensive testing with that equipment and it should work the best. I don't much like laptops anyway because they are very picky on what works with them so you could save yourself a major headache and get the drive designed for your laptop. :)