1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/CD types

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by starchy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. starchy

starchy Regular member

well i am going to buy a combo burner and then i am going to buy some dvd and cds and then i wanted to know which cd/dvds are the best for burning dvd movies and to burn cds ...... thanks for any opions

2. Shardel

Shardel Guest

When you buy a burner, be sure to get one that burns both plus and
    minus discs. That will give you more options when deciding what
    you will play them on.
    I've used a number of different brands of discs with no problems.
    I really like the Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, and HP for dependability.
    The only discs I've really had a problem with were the 16X Sony.
    I was told at the store that quite a few people were bringing them
    back.
    If you are planning on playing the discs on a free standing DVD
    player, be sure to read the book for your DVD player and see which
    discs it supports. That can mean a great deal of difference between
    success and failure. Also I always burn the discs at half the
    speed they will support (ie. 8X burned at 4X). It will give you
    a burn with less problems.
    Good luck. I'm sure you will enjoy your new burner.

3. starchy

starchy Regular member

yeah here is the burner i want to get ....it seems pretty good also it does do +/- as it says in that title .....also i get a discount at walmart.....also will xboxs read dvd disks as a movie or just give me a wrong disk messgae because that is my main dvd player in my room but i do have 4 others in the house (2 stand alones , laptop , portable)
    if you do not know then i will post it in the xbox forums....and thanks for your nice long post on the info it was great as it was general info that was common sense to me that i didnt even realize to look for besides the +/- things .....

here is the combo burner

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5334268

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  4. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Glad the post was helpful. I'm sorry I can't tell you about the
    XBox-I'm not into gaming. However there are experts on this site
    that should be able to help you with that.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi starchy,

First of all I would recommend you seriously take a look at this drive instead of the external one you are thinking about LiteOn DVDRW They also have this at Wal-Mart and you will for sure have better success with an internal over an external drive not to mention you pay half the price. Unless of course you have to have the external for some reason and if this is the case then the Mad-Dog is a pretty decent brand.

as far as media goes check out this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183136 go to the FAQ and number 4

Good Luck!

6. starchy

starchy Regular member

I would like to get an internal one but I do not want to mess up things in my laptop so then id rather pay the extra so that i know it will work no problem(hopefully) thanks for your input

7. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

just my 2 cents, but i got the EXternal lite on dvd burner from walmart, and LOVE it. alot here have said how dependable it is, and its cheaper than the mad dog too. the sell it at walmart, i thnk its called EZ-Dub. it was like $80 bucks. very very good so far, burned about 30 discs with it, and knock on wood, zero coasters.

8. starchy

starchy Regular member

I think I am going to go with the Mad Dogg despite the success you had with the lite on because the mad dogg can do double layers and can burn pictures to the disk also which I kind of interested in try/owning....so yeah I think I am going with the Madd Dogg thanks for your help

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  9. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

the lite on does all that as well. its a dvd+or-R and DVD+or-RW. and Dual Layers as well. and of course itll do CD-r and RW, and pictures etc etc. im just saying, look into it. lite on has a very good track record.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  10. starchy

starchy Regular member

That one lite on? i didnt see it in the description but anyway if it does then why would the madd dogg cost more i believe that it said it burned blue ray im not sure

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here is the LiteOn hayden is talking about LiteOn @ WalMart

It is the better drive, but it dosen't include the light Scribe. I have the LiteOn that does have the light scribe and it is an awesome drive, but I only really used the light scribe a couple of times when I first got it. Are you really going to use the light scribe and if so how much?

I didn't realize this was for a lap top, so the external is deffinatly the way to go.

Well it's your decision to make, but either should work fine for you.

Good Luck

12. starchy

starchy Regular member

Well I am planning on using the light scribe alot for when I backup DVDS so that it is almost like the original so then i can put the same cover image on the burned disk

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The light scride will not even come close to the original. It only scridbes in Black! and if you are planning on doing some really hard graphics (which a lot of DVDs have) then forget it. If you are looking to make them look more like the original DVD then you need to get some DVD printable media (TYs) and the Epson R series Printer.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

One other thing is Light Scribe blank DVDs cost more and there isn't a lot of them to choose from in the way of quality.

15. starchy

starchy Regular member

Oh I thought that it can write on any DVD .....If you do then it doesnt really matter to me .....So then I think I might go with that Lite-On

16. hayden58

hayden58 Regular member

its really your choice, but the Lite-on seems to have the better track record.

17. starchy

starchy Regular member

Ok I think I am going to go with the Lite-On because of its track recored and that it is cheaper and the light scribe doesnt matter to me now because I am not buying different than the normal cds for it thanks for the help

18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

There is a lot going for the Mad Dog, firewire will make things a lot qicker and you'll be able to burn at full speed plus get a 2 year warantee. It's probably a Samsung drive. Mad Dog will provide the firmware and they are very good at maximizing/tweaking a drive's performance. Lite-ons are cheap because they are cheaply made.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you crazy? How can you possibly make a statement like that?

PC World LiteOn in top 10 MadDog Not in list
    Tiger Direct LiteOn top 10 MadDog nowhere to be found

and many other places on the net do a "Google"

Are you stating this because you have a MadDog burner and are really that narrow minded? I don't even own a LightOn burner right now and I still say they are the best for the money. That is of course my opinion but I have owned a lot of different DVDRW optical drives and the most dependable and affordable was my LiteOn's. I now am using an ASUS, but I wouldn't recommend that because It really isn't as good as previous LiteOns I have owned. It's alright to say you like one drive better than another but to state that LiteOn is cheap is because it is made cheap is pretty ridiculous. Unless of course you have worked in both factories that produce these drives.

20. MysticE

MysticE Active member

End of story.