1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd copy, widescreen to fullscreen

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rhiny, May 28, 2019.

1. rhiny

rhiny Member

hello,could anyone please tell me if there is a program out there that can copy a dvd to dvd movie from widescreen to full screen,i have the programs to make the movie "not encrypted"but cannot convert them to full screen from widescreen,i realise that the black gaps at the top and bottom of the screen cannot be totally eliminated but on some movies the black gaps are really big !,i have tried winx dvd ripper onto usb and i used the crop function,the member sonnemey was kind enough to tell me about winx dvd author when i copied the files onto a dvd disc from winx dvd author the screen was back to widescreen,so it was back to square one,i have tried altering the screen ratio on my television zoom-> full -> wide ect,but the picture does not alter much,so basically is there is such a program out there that i can copy a dvd to dvd disc and alter the screen ratio before i start to copy also if possible just to copy the 'main feature'as well on the movie would be good,any help would be gratefully appreciated

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The re-coding program is what lets you alter or remove the bars something like vidcoder (it's free as in no money) or whatever . The downside to removing the bars is altering the video to make people or things in general become tall & skinny or some other odd look in the final re-code . I can't help with removing bars as i use the media player i.e computer to adjust them manually to get the aspect ratio .You sure you media player doesn't have aspect or crop options

When you say dvd you actually mean a dvd up to 8gb & not bluray . If so then rip with dvdfab 8 (it's free to rip always there is no time limit or get torrent cracked version) from there you can rip the main as it has that option. Then use dvdshrink to remove front & end credits . This allows less junk & will improve the bitrate of the overall movie which in turn improves the quality just a little bit .Dvdshink can shrink i.e compress the movie ready to burn to a 4gb dvd or leave un-shrunk to burn to 8gb .get dvdshrink in downloads section here at AD

rhiny likes this.
  3. dp70

dp70 Member

The black bars you mention preserve the correct aspect ratio of the movie. To remove the black bars requires cropping the sides and blowing-up the remaining image- in effect reducing the resolution of the image - or the number of pixels.

The old TV screen used the 1.37:1 aspect ratio - something Hollywood used from the days of sound to 1953 - the adoption of CinemaScope- that projected image commenced with 2.55:1 aspect ratios, and ultimately became 2.35:1.

Non CinemaScope ( aka anamorphic) was settled upon at 1.85:1 - this preserved common height screens. In Europe cinemas adopted a 1.66:1 for non anamorphic- this was an economic necessity in post WWII recovery.

70mm Todd-AO did not come to England until 1958, 3 years after Oklahoma! in 1955- the first 70mm film in England was South Pacific ( Todd-AO a/r- 2.21:1)

The present TV standard is 1.77:1- this is a compromise in the 2 a/r.

The present use of digital cinema is a farce- if the image is 1.85 what is presented as "wide screen" has the same number of pixels- only stretched- rendering less resolution than the non-widescreen image. ( if it is digital it is not better. Or better than what?

Simply, try enjoying a move without destroying the work of the Director and the DP ( cinematographer) - these pros know how to frame a shot. If image quality and missing parts of the frame are not a consideration, I wish you well-

rhiny likes this.