1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD copying problem

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by baznx, Feb 15, 2004.

1. baznx

baznx Member

Hi, i have backed up my dvds to dvd+r using dvd decrypter to copy the whole movie to the hard drive and then use dvd shrink to copy only the movie to a dvd+r disc. The movie does not plays in my computer but not in my stand alone dvd player even though it plays dvd+r's. Is there a setting i need to change in dvdshrink to allow the dvds to be played in dvd players. thanks in advance

2. cubs4ever

cubs4ever Member

I don't have an answer but the same thing happended to me. I have a yahamma theater system playing dvd+r. on some copies the yahamma didn't play them. I bought a magnavox dvd player $59.00 at best buy. This plays them all. Go figure $600.00 don't $59.00 does.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi baznx,
    No there is no setting in Shrink. What program are you using to burn with?
    Why are you using Decrypter with Shrink? Shrink will decrypt as well as compress.
    You need to be a bit clearer, I think you are saying
    "The movie plays in my computer but not in my stand alone DVD player, even though it (the stand alone) plays DVD+Rs."
    Have you played +R DVDs in your player? What is the make and model of your player?

Frank

4. baznx

baznx Member

the dvd player is a cheap brand of some sort and i have played dvd+r discs in it before.

i use dvd decrypter and dvd shrink because dvd shrink always comes up with an encoding error if reading directly from the movie disc. so i used dvd decrypter to first copy the entire disc to the hard drive and then use dvd shrink to copy just the movie to a dvd+r disc. dvd shrink burns the disc using nero 6.

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

you could try crunching the dvd with dvd2one instead of dvd shrink
    DaOsT

6. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

You need to explain more. How are you burning to the dvd+r. Are you doing the right format for standalones---i.e. are you putting the files in a VIDEO_TS folder. If they are not in the correct folder, it won't play in a standalone, but will play in the computer.

sometimes dvd players are weird. some dvd players won't play backups unless they have menus-- don't ask me why. try making a full disc backup with the menu and see if that makes a difference.

7. baznx

baznx Member

the burning process of dvd shrink is using nero 6 and it does make a video_ts and audio ts_folder. i am also setting it to region free.

8. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

sometimes you can do everything right and the standalone will just not play it. Try it on other standalones to see if that will work. Again standalone vagaries are funny.

If the disc worked in other standalones, it could be a standalone that does not like nero and +r discs. Maybe it would like a nero burned -r. It becomes very difficult to identify the issue that causes these kinds of problems.

If it worked in other standalones, I would probably try different media (-r) and then maybe a different burning program--i.e. recordnow max. Sometimes the burning program can be associated with compatibility issues--go figure.

two links to ponder:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/42065
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/66069

9. baznx

baznx Member

ok thanks for ur help