1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Copying Problems

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by th_kyur, Sep 1, 2005.

1. th_kyur

th_kyur Guest

Hey !

I have these 2 DVD's ( already been copyed once ) and im trying to make a copy off of that copy , but the problem is everytime i try it gives me some type of error. I have been using DVD Shrink .

IF anyone knows whats up would u please help !

Sorry for the lack of info im hardly understanding it myself.

Much thanks for all replys .

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What Type of Error???

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You don't need to use Shrink on a copy it has already been compressed.

4. th_kyur

th_kyur Guest

the error is :

Processing Error

D:/video_ts/vts_08_1.vob: Read Error

Data Error ( cyclic redundancy check )

And i use dvd shrink sometimes becouse i like to get rid of certain functions or subtitles .

Hope u can help me out !

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

That is the sign of a damaged disc. Clean it as much as possible (rub with a soft cloth in radial direction, not tangential).
    Try to copy the files to your hard disk by simply copy-paste under windows. If a file fails, turn of your PC and let the drive cool down for a while and try that file again. You may be lucky after a couple of trials.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes Read errors are useing from either Scratches on the Disk or actual write errors when Burning the Disk in the Case of Recordable DVD Media....I used to get that Problem when Trying to Copy a DVD that was Burned to Crappy Media or Burned too fast on Crappy Media....

There is an Option in DVD Decryptor that says "Ignore Read Errors" maybe try enableing that setting and see if it helps with Ripping this Disk.....

You could also just Try Copying the Files off of the DVD without useing a Ripping Program...There are also Programs for Getting Data off of Dammaged DVD/CD"s Like "DVD X Rescue' and "Bad Copy Pro" which might be worth a Try.....

Good Luck

7. th_kyur

th_kyur Guest

Thanks alot guys i will defenitly give those things a try . !

8. cooziest

cooziest Member

i am having a similar problem. i am using different sofware though. here is whats happening.

1. i take an orginal dvd and simply copy and paste the whole thing to my hard drive

2.i use clovedvd with anydvd to remove protections and to compress a dual layer to fit on a single layer disk. i dont not immediately burn the disk. i save the compressed dvd to another folder on my hdd.

3. burn the compressed dvd to disk using clovedvd and nero.

Both burning programs have given my copies that have crc. I am using brand new PRINCO brand dvd-r and a sony dru700a dual layer burner.
    the movies i have burned are watchable. sometimes the crc error is reflected in the "extra" material and not the movie.
    I have checked the compressed dvd files on my hdd with CDCHECK and found no errors. I have even defragged my hdd.
    Anyone know what the prob is? I am making coasters like crazy!!

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Princo aren"t the best Media so I would Try burning your DVD"s at 2x speed and see if that Helps your Burning so you don"t get any Burn errors....

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  10. cooziest

cooziest Member

have tried that. have also used a dvd lense cleaner. i dont think its my burner. at least i hope not. im beginning to think that i should format my hdd and start again.

11. schlossy

schlossy Guest

Hi! I'm new at this DVD burning but I figured alot of things out just by trial and error. One, shut off your antivirus and spy programs. Don't have your screen saver on and use a brand name DVD. I've used the TDK's , Sony and Fuji. I like Fuji best. They all work fine. Also use a disk cleaner once in a while to clean out dust inside the burner and reader drives. And don't bump the computer while it's working!!! Other then these things, I have had no problems with any of the programs. Good Luck

12. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

Sounds like media issues. At AD most look to Taiyo Yuden's, Verbatims, Maxell. Some use Fuji (made in Japan) and Sony's. It is easy to see why, especially down the road when you want to watch a movie and it won't play. Also, burn slow 4x or slower. Stay away from bad media (princo, cmc, memorex). Just wanting to help. supermediastore.com has great sales, but not too great as to avoid fake Ty's. Best Buy usually has Verbs. on sale. Try new media, burn slow and see the outcome.
    MovieDud

13. th_kyur

th_kyur Guest

Well guys ive tryed just about everything i can think of and its still the same error no matter what program , and not matter what i do .... I think this is starting to becouse a major pain in the arse !

But i will keep trying , If i figure anything out i will post it .

14. Shneur

Shneur Guest

I'm glad I found this thread. I am also having the same problem. Have tried various combinations of DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, DVD Shrink, CloneDVD, and four different burners. "Cyclic redundancy error" is the nemesis. Coying the files to a folder first does not help. An interesting point is that this seems to occur almost exclusively where the original movie was OLD, i.e. this was a digital transfer from some earlier medium. The copies I've made from the originals all play just fine: it's only when I try to copy my copy that the process fails. This is VERY frustrating! Help?

15. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@shneur, can you share with the group here at ad what type of media? Brand name? Burn speed? I have been able without a problem make back-ups of my backups because I use good media, even with the first burns in the beginning using cheap media I quickly switched and made a back-up on Ty's, verbs, Sony's, FuJi's, and Maxell's (all made in Japan, actually the Sony's and FuJi's code as TY's. Knowing this information can help us to help you. Thanks.
    MovieDud

16. Shneur

Shneur Guest

Well, ya got me pardner -- (hands clasped over heart) Aaargh!! (bites dust). I'm using cheap-o's from Shop4Tech. What I don't understand is, if the information is all there coherently enough to play perfectly both on computer and stand-alone, how the goldarn heck (see how polite?) can it then NOT be there sufficiently to copy? The difference between 29ยข and $1.00++ is really significant. Maybe I should just make three copies of everything ab initio as a matter of principle...

17. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@shneur, partner I'm just sharing what many here at AD have learned, and some like myself, the hard way. Actually I pay bewteen .27 to .30 cents for great media (Taiyo Yuden 01's 4x and 02's 8x; Verbatims, FuJi's and Sony's that code as TY's look for the made in Japan, and I also use Maxell which code as MCC, not Cmc.). I shop from supermediastore online or when Best Buy has it's FuJi's on sale and then combine that with Rewards bucks...I just found the FuJi's at Best Buy 50 for $17.00 so I picked up 200. Used my $40.00 in rewards and you get the picture. Our Staples will carry the Sony's made in Japan on sale and then the Office Depot carries the Maxell. I have recently went back to re-burn my movies on the cheap media using decrypter in Iso Read and then Iso Write...quick and perfect. Many times the cheap media might play fine for a while but then after a year it begins to pixilate, freeze and skip to the point that it is not viewable. I just believe in making the investment up front for security and consistency. Don't beat yourself up, just keep your eyes open becuase the team at AD pass on when there is a good sale. I like supermediastore because it is genuine Ty's.
    MovieDud

18. Shneur

Shneur Guest

Thanks. The idea that my media might degrade after a year or so is the deciding factor. As we say in NY, "Ya gotta do whacha gotta do." I've invested too much time & effort in this collection to find out later it's rotting. Another lesson learned...

19. cooziest

cooziest Member

just wanted to say that i switched to the TY disks and while burning on the lowest speed,i have had no problems (CRC). thanks for the help.

20. th_kyur

th_kyur Guest

Well im glad everyone has come to an agreement !

Cheap = BAD !!!

Not Cheap = GOOD :D