1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd ddl and burning

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by valis1, Jan 14, 2006.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

DL burners burn 4.7, but the old burners without DL capability obviously don't burn DL media. You pretty much have the picture; especially for the data files and MP3. For the large DVD videos you want to back up, special projects, you might want to go ahead and try a newer program to see how it works. But it get's expensive fast with DL coasters. As I said, give the Nero 7 trial a shot. You can download the trial at no cost from the Nero site, www.nero.com and it's full function, just has a timed period the trial is good for (no limit on trials though).

My friend who does DL on a somewhat regular basis said he had to switch to the XCopy 5 to get the job done and that app is currently not available that I know of. There was an XCopy forum on AD, but I don't know about that avenue. That was with some of the more troublesome movies. He's got the Nero Recode he uses for DL DVD movies along with DVDCopy 4, the XCopy5, and Rebuilder/Cinema Craft Encoder. He has quite a bunch of software. Most people don't invest in that much. I'm another of the software junkies though. LOL

[bold]Just one thing before you quit or try other software, have you tried Recode for the DVD Movies?[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006
  2. valis1

valis1 Member

i have not. the majority of what i am storing either mp3's (50%), pics (30%), and random vids and other data such as taxes, writings, etc (20%).

What I like about keeping the dl burner is the same idea you have; someday, somehow, it will be 'in', and easy to use. For now, I think that I will stick with it, try burning some standard dvd disks, and see if they can be accessed universally. I would feel EXTREMELY stupid (not for the first time) if I backed everything up, the house burned flat, and I needed some data in a hurry and no buddies/libraries/work had a compatible player to play the disk that had the data.

Sort of like packing a survival kit without a can opener.

I will keep you updated, should be able to give it a shot this weekend. Got my anniversary, plus studies for A+, plus work, plus a 1 yr old, so time is a bit iffy, but I will post after a burn on a standard dvd disk.

again, guys, thanks for all the help. You were referred to my by some of my buddies at techsupportguy.org, btw. And you have lived up to the hype.

v

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

The data you're storing isn't that much for standalone DVD video players; i.e. the photos and business files. MP3 wasn't really intended for DVD video players, but is now incorporated into some newer players, not all. Most computers will read the DV9 and DVD5, so no problem once you get a good burn. In some cases I've seen read problems with certain software apps though. The batch software such as Roxio's Drag to Disc and Nero's Incd for example. You can have a recordable disc that isn't closed (multi session not finalized) and you have to have the same software to read it until you finalize the disc. To be readable by most programs, a disc has to be finalized. Those of us who do a lot of DVD movie backups avoid those type programs like the plague because batch writing apps interfere by staying active and keeping an active link to the drives. Interference caused by batch software is a big problem with novice video enthusiasts. We suggest not loading or deleting those parts of the recording suites, if backing up video movies is going to be a pursuit.

By the way, supported tags and syntax are listed above the Message box where you post to a thread. I'll give you a quick example, the following is a screenshot of notepad because you can't post the tags in the forum itself, they are active.

[​IMG]

Without the tags, the actual link to the stored image is http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2185/notepad2lh.png .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006
  4. valis1

valis1 Member

yah, we'll see what happens with a standard dvd disk.....keep you updated on it....I would imagine that it would work fine, but I also imagined I wouldn't have any issues installing a freakin' dvd rw.

shows what I know, eh?

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Just put in a new Plextor and if I'd been in a hurry I could have done it in about five minutes or less and that's checking and setting the jumper. LOL The PC picked it up and I'm using it. I guess some of us have all the luck. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2006
  6. valis1

valis1 Member

was it dl? If so, I will be less than pleased with you....;)

7. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Don't worry, in fact it was one of the more expensive drives, a Plextor PX-716AL. It has all the bells and whistles including slot loading instead of the tray. It does booktyping and supports Plextools which has a good test battery for media. I'd been looking at them and found a sale at Newegg. But as I said, it doesn't make sense to buy a drive without DL if getting a new one nowadays. The media may be a bit high, but it's been coming down, and for doing large movies, it is supposed to be the coming thing. That is until blu-ray and HD DVD work their way into the market. I wonder what's going to happen with that though. May be another story similar to DL. But for my use, I'm still going with the smaller DVD5 discs for now.

8. valis1

valis1 Member

well, I burned a standard dvd disk, set to non-multisession, and about 4200 MB.....burned at 8x as opposed to the dl 2x....threw in my OLD dvd PLAYER, not burner, and it worked fine. So I think we can mark this one closed.....I'll find out on Monday when I take this to work and see if I can access it from a generic dvd player, but if my old dvd player can access the files, I will assume I am *snap*.........cool.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Sounds like you got it.

10. valis1

valis1 Member

yeah, hope so.....let you guys know tomorrow, then you can show me how to close a thread as 'solved'.....but I want to test it in a couple generic burners at the office first....

11. valis1

valis1 Member

well, it didn't work in the dvd players at work....giong to crack the case, get the model number and mfg, and see if there are some updated drivers for this dvd player....

this can be marked solved, tho...no need to continue cluttering up the forum beating a dead horse.

thanks again for the assistance, and I am sure that you will see me around.

v

12. valis1

valis1 Member

fwiw, the drive that is in question here is a LG HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD-ROM GCC-4480B, dunno if you guys have any experience with that. Updating the drivers now, doing other random tests.

v

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

hey, i have one of those 4480B's, fantastic drive, it's my workhouse ripping drive, absolute trojan of a drive, it's i think 3yrs old & has chomped it's way thru billions of discs by now

14. brobear

brobear Guest

You have a new friend. Well maybe. You had to be rich at one time, but with buying all those discs, I wonder. LOL

15. valis1

valis1 Member

so it works for some, eh? Glad to hear it, that gives me hopes. Any ideas as to why my disk would work on my dvd player only at home, but balks at playing on this one? This drive won't even recognize it. Just pop it in, and it sits there, go to explorer, and nada. Weird. Going to try it on a few other dvd roms around here and see what I get.

v

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i had a similar problem yesterday, i fancied watching Van Helsing then noticed my backup was on on a crappy FAKE Bulkpaq crap disc, i was in one of those moods where i was determined to copy to a new disc from the crap one, instead of from the original disc. The 4480B just wouldn't play ball. No surprise as these Bulkpaq discs are truly atrocious. Anyway, i gave the disk a token wipe (even though it was pretty clean) and the copy process got further (was using dvd decrypter). then i tried it on one of my LG burners and the copy process got a lot further real quick (but then barfed further thru the disc). a-ha i thought, and was more determined to kick it's arse. then i tried my other LG burner and it copied the remaining files in a snap. bizarre. Just for kicks i then ripped the whole disc to another directory with that last burner, no trouble at all. typical!.

but anyway, my point is that the 4480B is my primary ripping drive, it very rarely has trouble with a disc, it just seemed (this time) that one of my other drives had better luck with one of these utter rubbish discs of mine. usually none of the drives have a hope in hell with these crap quality fake TY discs. i guess this was one of the less bad Bulkpaq's. and once i burnt the new one to a 'Verbatim TY' disc i sent the Bulkpaq on to another burner, my woodburner which did a sterling job on it :O

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  17. valis1

valis1 Member

well, I installed updated firmware, and still no dice. I know it's a problem with the compatibility of this disk and that player; all the pc's here have that player, with the exception of the laptops, and none of them play it, again, with the exception of the laptops.

odd.

18. valis1

valis1 Member

let's mark this one closed. I tried 3 separate dvd's players in desktops at work, no love. Tried 3 laptops, works fine. Ergo, it's the drive that ibm is shipping with our desktops. Problem solved, although I am now balder for the lesson.

Thanks for the assistance, sure you'll see me here again.

v

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Wonder who manufactured the drive? IBM is like a lot of companies and the PCs aren't always company components. Much of their PC line is on Intel platforms. Mac was the only one I know of that was using the IBM CPU and they're going with Intel now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
  20. valis1

valis1 Member

LG Electronics is the mfg, fwiw.