1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decriptor / Nero Backup Problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dravidham, Feb 18, 2005.

1. eric545

eric545 Regular member

dravidham

I burn like most folks however; I always Decrypt movies to my hard drive, then Shrink the movie, then burn the Main Movie Only to an 8x DVD-R (many different brands) on my Pioneer PX-716SA (Serial ATA)DVD Burner, using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. I realize that most folks that use this forum use Nero however; I have never had the luck with Nero that I have with Roxio. I use a number of different brands of DVD-R's and at different speeds however; I find by buring at the lowest speed always creates excellent copies and rarely create a coaster. I stay away from pricey Ritek and other big brand name media and still don't have many problems

2. dravidham

dravidham Member

eric545,

Sounds good. Fancy swapping PCs with me then? - sounds a great idea to me...

3. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hi Rotary,

Sorry, I think I missed a couple of questions in your 2nd to last post. I was in a bit of a rush catch my train to work this morning and I was still half asleep so clearly I was not looking hard enough!

Media:-

1 batch of Ridisk Ritek G04 (4X DVD-R) purchased from UKDVDR.co.uk
    1 batch of Ritek G05 (8xDVD-R) purchased from Burnmedia.co.uk
    1 Batch of Ridisk Ritek G05 (8x DVD-R)purchased from CDRW.co.uk
    4 septerate boxes (10 pack jewel case) Verbatims bought at different stages from my local Jessops store.

I've never used +R's and I would prefer not to as -R's are suited to my stand alone players.

Yes I'm in the UK.Unfortunately.

I'm unsure exactly when this problem originally started. All I know is that I made say fifteen faultless backups around a year ago using 4x non printable verbatims which played all the way through.

My hard drive has been formatted a few times since then. On each install all the latest drivers were installed to the best of my knowledge including the latest ASUS motherboard drive for my K8V deluxe. I then did a serious hit run of backing up my original DVDs in bulk.

During this hit run I really didn't test the playback of the backups very well. When I was even less experienced than I am now, as far as I was aware, if a standalone dvd player played the menu and could run the beginning of each chapter then I though that I had a good copy. That is all I did back then to test these, one by one.

Of course, I was very wrong, and a few months later, when I watched a couple of the backups I discovered the freezing/skipping problem was evident on a large number of the burns that I had made.

With my previous burner, coasters happened much less frequently, but the skipping was still there in the majority of burns. Of course with the previous burner I was able to burn at 2X which improved things, but I'd rather be burning at 4X plus.

Disk identifier? - I will have a google about for it and I'll give it a try on those Band of Brothers backups that I made yesterday. Am stuck at work until 7.00 this evening so I'll try when I'm home.

Bye for now.

Dave.

4. eric545

eric545 Regular member

Dave

If you can get your hands on a Plextor PX-716SA Serial ATA burner, do so!

I have had 5 other burners in the past including Pioneer 8X and 16X's and nothing has created more reliable backups than the Plextor.

PS: I am not in the UK however; I did live in Ipswich, Suffolk for almost 10 years.

5. dravidham

dravidham Member

Thanks eric545,

Eventually I may well try 'new burner number three' as an absolute last resort. Bit skint right now though and cant understand why two burners in a row wont work for me. What if the third doesnt either - I'll be stuck with it. Shall try firmware for my DW-22A fake Sony first.

The Plextor you mention looks very good and it'll certainly be one that I'll consider if and when the time comes when I need to try the new burner route. Thing is currently here in England its a shade under £100.00.

Hey, I might just go find my worst enemy and donate my whole P.C. to him which will probably make the rest of his life a complete misery :)

By the way, I've tried Roxio. I seemed to get similar problems with that also (Easy Media Creator 7 retail). Thanks for the suggestions though and congratulations for managing to escape the UK!

Cheers,

Dave.

6. hursty

hursty Active member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

dravidham,

OK so your using Shrink and most of your movies skip towards the end.. This sounds like a media problem, but it should be able to be fixed by lowering your target size in Shrink. Look in my signature and go to my site there is a guide that shows you how to set the target size. Another thought.. Do you put label's on your DVD's? If so this could also be the problem. Also while your at my site use one of those methods to back up your DVD and see how everything goes.. Let us know

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK I will make it easy for you.. Here is how to set the target size in Shrink..
    [​IMG]

9. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hursty

Thanks for the links. I'll study them when I have access to the offending pc when I get home. I'll post back tonight when I've tinkered.

As for ASPI, from memory (I'm @ work right now) if I go into DVD Decriptor>tools>settings>I/O Tab - I am using the default SPTI-Microsoft setting.

If I remember rightly, the equivilent screen under Nero shows no ASPI is installed & if I select under this screen to use the Nero ASPI and try multiple burns I still get the same nasty results.

Post no. 14 in this thread shows one of my DVD Decriptor log and I havent changed anything on my machine since posting that log. As far as I can see the log makes no reference to ASPI at all - should it then?

p.s. Spot on about Beckham in your sig., he's definately a pillow biter. That's why he makes a living playing with balls.

bbmayo,

Thanks for both posts. Maybe by the end of the year, this might be the longest thread in history!!.

Anyhows...Labels on backups? - no, I have an Epson R300 printer and I use white printable media and print directly onto them. The 'tester' backups were not printed onto at all. Good thought though.

I've tried lowering the target size in DVDD and Nero before to 4400 and also 4300 mb in the past but I will give this another shot. Havent tried this in shrink.

I will try this although in defense to shrink,I actually have a couple of original DVDs that I've backed up (movie only) that did not require shrinking at all after the all the extra's were taken out, etc and the backups still burned/played back on stand alone kind of funny. I will of course try target size in Shrink again though.

Thanks guys, and I'll post back with the next tranch of results aroung 9.00 p.m. uk time.

Dave.

10. hursty

hursty Active member

my nero info tool log shows "2" options of aspi layers
    nero
    system

11. hursty

hursty Active member

p.s
    i recently had problems,had to do system restore in the end,by no means do i suggest you need to do that,
    i also had roxio,removed it,then use roxio zapper to get rid of it totally(cheers rotary)
    the buffer on decrypter was behaving most unsual,emptying during burning
    the system restore did the trick..

i also noticed on the log

personnaly thats too fast for me

i think the answer may lie in the media you are using with a combination of the burner
    try and find out what media compatibilty suits the burner best

12. hursty

hursty Active member

did you say the firmware has been updated

did you know its the same as the

Liteon SOHW-1633S (double check on that though)

btw "ritek go5's" are said not to be up to standard of its predessor the ritek"go4"

13. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hursty,

Average write rate - If i select a speed lower than 4X in DVDD it makes no difference, as the burn will still run at 4.1X regardless. This happens in Nero also.

The testing done so far has been using solely G04's and Verbatim DVD-R Advanced AZO 8x printables since I came on this thread. The logs is for G04 though.

From what I've swatted up on so far, the firmware equivilent for my burner is SOHW-1635S but like you say, I need to check this out for sure and I will use those links privided earlier in this thread to work it out. Hopefully I wont have to cross flash, as quite frankly I will probably mess things up for sure.

Dave.

14. hursty

hursty Active member

hi,
    having read through this thread properly,it seems apparent that i think you are looking too deep into this problem,i may be wrong,it just seems a bit drastic,all those measures you are having to go through,just to burn a bloody dvd!!

my advice would be to stay away from the brand "ritek"
    i will bet you a fat goose that if you change your media,to say a decent tdk-r/maxwell.your results will improve

p.s,i have a pioneer 108 burner,which at £55 is very good value
    check this for media
    www.svpcommunications.com
    www.rambox.co.uk

with kind regards hursty

also check this

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155431

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

as hursty knows ROXIO causes more problems than anyhting! even when you remove it, it knackers your DMA / PIO settings (documented on MSN website)

printable disc are another problem maker, it spins the discs out of true!

now the all the discs i have ever bought which is hundreds are RITEK and to my knowledge there are only 2 websites that sell RITEK from the RITEK company, others are there own with changes or fakes! this is for UK as i am in the UK myself

one website i cant remember?? but the other where i buy all my reiteks are:

www.blankdiscshop.co.uk

i have used GO4 / GO5

RITEK RIDISC go5
    RITEK RIVISION go5
    RITEK SILVER TOP go4
    RITEK ANV (useing these now GO5 8x) 150 now!

did buy bulkpaq once and got same problems you are having now! prodisc dye

i have never bought media from anywhere else! there service is amazing, i sent email at 8.00 in morning 14 mins later i got a reply! dam good!

16. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hirsty,

Thanks. If it is the media, then it would make my day. Big time!!

I would gladly write off (if you excuse the pun) my collection of circa 200 completely unused -R's tuched in the wardrobe. I'd just be grateful to be up and running again even if it's a different brand of media that solves it. That's why I momentarily got into the Verbatims. I've never heard anything but praise for G04s and Verb's which is why I stuck them and perservered.

Any particular TDK or Maxell that are best to try - there are bound to be a couple of variations with each make for -R's (as with Ritek offering G04 and also G05, etc).

Ideally I would like 8x printable if at all possible, but TDK and Mexell wise if there do exist in printable form, then the retailers seem a little shy of letting everybody know.

I'm too late to meet the deadline to place an order today, so I think I'll print a copy of all of this thread tonight and run through & try all of the suggestions made so far by you guys so far. Over a large case of Budweiser of course :)

I'll be in touch.

Hve a good evening,

Dave.

17. hursty

hursty Active member

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Inkjet_printable_DVD_R.html

check out the DV 3139 (taiyo yuden) code TYGO2
    bit pricey,see if you can get samples

also

DV 3149 datawrites code TTGO1 (TDK)

not a bad site that,one recommended by rotary

look for the special offers which run once a month
    they do free delivery on orders over £30(offer)

"We occasionally have special offers on shipping for our Buyers Club members"
    (from the site)

18. dravidham

dravidham Member

Rotary,

Thanks for your post re the media. I wasnt skipping a reply to your thread - when I replied to Hursy's @ work via Hotmail a few hours ago, at the time yours honestly didn't show up on my the thread. No offense meant for the lack of reply :)

I'm in a bit of a rush at the mo even though ' home.........please excuse spelling if need be, but I have to rush out and help a mate that has managed to compleately destroy the engine in his car (was always going to happen - I told him so!!).

Sorry guys, I can well do without having to muck about with this towing errand, but he is a mate and I cant leave him there!!

Time permitting, I'll b back here later this eve, failing that, I'll b about tomorrow eve.

By the way, I've asked a friend to let me have some TDK -R's just to try out as a sideline - I will pickj these up tomorrow eve........

Got to tow that car now..............later......

Dave.

19. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hursty,

Thanks.....Once again, I'll post tomorrow. Sorry.

20. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hi Guys,

I borrowed a small batch of Evolution DVD-R 2X grade A printable disks from a friend last night whilst I wait for some new stuff to arrive. It's the only brand that he had and I thought I've nothing to lose by testing the water on some alternative media like a couple of you have suggested.

Having never heard of Evolution, I was a bit skeptical but thought that I would give them a go as an alternative to Ritek/Verbatim.

I made two straight burns from DVD Decriptor, and briefly checking both copies in both of the stand alone players in the house, they appear to play faultlessly!.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, sometimes I can get a burn that plays great all the way through at least the first half of a movie, only to lock up for good after that. So I think that I really need to sit down and watch these two copies right the way through just to be totally sure that they are o.k.

Here's what the Nero CD/DVD Speed though of the burn quality:-

Disc: DVD-R
    Selected speed: Maximum
    PI errors
    Maximum: 1303
    Average: 686.05
    Total: 10314392
    PI failures
    Maximum: 30
    Average: 6.05
    Total: 230595
    PO failures: n/a
    Jitter: n/a
    Scanning statistics
    Elapsed time: 8:48
    Number of samples: 108924
    Average scanning interval: 1.22 ECC
    Glitches removed: 6

Are these results any good / what is an acceptable number of errors for a good burn?

Also tried a third burn with another one of those Evolution disks, and on this occasion I used Nero. Both standalone players seem to play this fine also, but once again, I'd like to watch it all the way through just in case, but things look very very promising....

If this is a media issue, then I am totally miffed as to why both Sony OEM burners are giving both Ritek & Verbatim the middle finger. I've been buying them because just about everybody I know swears by both brands as they seem compatable with everything in sight (except anything that I own!).

Maybe that 1633 firmware might nudge the burner to accept these two brands. I think I'll try it.

Don't mind if has been media all along though, infact if it turns out to be media then I'll be well chuffed as at least the problem will be solved once and for all :)

I'll be in touch when I've watched the above three backups..

Dave.