1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decriptor / Nero Backup Problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dravidham, Feb 18, 2005.

1. DataRS

DataRS Member

@ dravidham, Ritek, Verbatim TDK, & Ricojpn are crappy media, and the list goes on. The real problem is that they are having there Media made in China.

I have the same Sony burner as you.

I'm a PC builder, so this gave me the time to look into this problem, by using any DVD burners at my disposal..

I tried, Plextor, Sony, Lite-on, LG Burners that gave the same result. This burner "Samsung TS-H552B" is by far the crappiest one. The only burner that could burn this crappy media was Benq1620A, you can check there site here http://www.benq.us/products/productgroup.cfm?pgid=3

Media that I found to be good was Philips, HP, ISO1 & Infome Dvd+r.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. hursty

hursty Active member

tdk is an excellent brand of media as is the ritek code
    in my opionion your statement is slighty inaccurate to say the least
    each of us have have our opionion of course,but in my experience i have never had any problems with them

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Answer: Zero

All that media you are using with the exception of the last one mentioned are considered good quality media for the most part. Some would disagree I am sure but most here will tell you that all those brands are fine, and they should be. So I would recommend an update to your firmware and then give them another shot.

4. dravidham

dravidham Member

@ all of you

Thanks for staying with the thread. I had no pc time yesterday, but I did have a chance to watch some those backups on both of my standalones.

I tried three of the Evolutions and two are perfect on both players but the a third copy skipped in a few places but managed to play right through. Best result so far, but I'm not giving up on this one.

I'm sure that you are all spot on with the firmware suggestion and it's about time I gave it a go. The worst that could happen is a smoked burner thats not working properly anyhow and at best it sould solve my general media rejection. Yep, I'm going to give it a shot tonight.

@bbmayo

Your tips on target size in Shrink were appreciated. I gave it a go and it did not resolve anything, but it was definately worth trying.

@hursty/Rotary

Thanks for the media link and media suggestion. I checked out blankdiskshop and ordered the DV3149 Datawrites which I had hoped to have received today but there was a mix with the order (these things happen, and they were good enough to ring me to let me know). These disks will be with me tomorrow.

Also ordered from Burnmedia a batch of TDK branded DVD-r 4x to try out in addition. I will do some pre/post firmware burn tests on these new disks.

@ DataRS

Yes I've gone the TDK route, but thats not s a snub to your post - they were ordered 3 days ago. I'd like to at least try them out, especially as I have paid for them!. But thanks for your input.

I'll be in touch later on....

Dave.

5. dravidham

dravidham Member

How can I add a pic/clipart in my sig. like some of you have? - I feel left out....

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can use this site to upload any picture from your hard drive and then just copy the link they provide and paste it in your Signature
    http://www.imageweb.info/index.php

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes i love blankdiscshop they do look after you! they dont just want your cash, this internet site has good customer support!

never tried TDK but i think there a good disc? i've always bought RITEK and found they are very very good with my setup, so i stayed with them!

about £9.99 for 50 "ANV RITEK GO5 8x"

yeah let us know how it goes!

8. goshawks

goshawks Member

dravidham, I have found a way to prepare DVDs for burning that works for me (halfway between one-click and gung-ho methods...)

DVD Decrypter - for defeating encryption.
    DVD Shrink - for stripping out unwanted languages and subtitles.
    VOB Blanker - for stripping out extras, ads, etc.

By using these three programs 1-2-3, I find that I can usually fit a DVD9-sized input into a DVD5-sized output ready for burning (without need for further downsizing the main movie, say with DVD Rebuilder or such).

There are many ways for DVD-massaging; this is what currently works for my time and effort. You might try this combination once, before going to firmware, new burner, etc. (I use NEC2500 and Nero 6.6.06 currently; only one slightly-skipping disk in ~200 copies...)

Links to VOB Blanker (free software):

http://www.iespana.es/jsoto
    http://www.posunplugged.com/jsoto

9. goshawks

goshawks Member

dravidham,

I have found a way to prepare DVDs for burning that works for me (halfway between one-click and gung-ho methods...)

DVD Decrypter - for defeating encryption.
    DVD Shrink - for stripping out unwanted languages and subtitles.
    VOB Blanker - for stripping out extras, ads, etc.

By using these three programs 1-2-3, I find that I can usually fit a DVD9-sized input into a DVD5-sized output ready for burning (without need for further downsizing the main movie, say with DVD Rebuilder or such).

There are many ways for DVD-massaging; this is what currently works for my time and effort. You might try this combination once, before going to firmware, new burner, etc. (I use NEC2500 and Nero 6.6.06 currently; only one slightly-skipping disk in ~200 copies...)

Links to VOB Blanker (free software):

http://www.iespana.es/jsoto
    http://www.posunplugged.com/jsoto

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Shrink will do everything you mentioned you do with VOB Blanker so out of curiosity why use 3 programs when 2 would work?

11. dravidham

dravidham Member

goshawks,

Hi & thanks for the tip. For now, I'd like to stick to the prog's that I've been using since the start of this thread, just so I don't lose sight of the issues that I have at present.

@ bbmayo/rotary & anybody elso who likes and knows all about Nero test screenshots - I've run nero graph tests with TDK, Datawrite, Ritek G04 & G05, but for some reason, I cant paste the screenshots onto this thread. Would you guys mind if I pm'd the attachments to you? - If you are cool with this, may I have your email addresses and I can email in the normal way and include the shots as attachments? - I know that this is not the 'done thing' in forums, but at least I will be able to pass the details on then.

Later this afternoon' I'll upgrade the firmware to Lite On SOHW1633S and run exactly the same burns with the new firmware and then I'll get nero tests of the post firmware burns like for like and also post those results.

Anyhow, in the meantime although I cant post the pre firmware screenshot tests right now, the overall results were as follows, copying an .iso image for Bank Of Brothers Disk 1 from the desktop:-

Test 1 - Ritek G04
    General Information
    Drive: SONY DVD RW DW-D22A
    Firmware: BYS3
    Disc: DVD-R (RITEKG04)
    Selected speed: Maximum
    PI errors
    Maximum: 314
    Average: 12.98
    Total: 168809
    PI failures
    Maximum: 19
    Average: 1.59
    Total: 37647
    PO failures: n/a
    Jitter: n/a
    Scanning statistics
    Elapsed time: 10:01
    Number of samples: 122958
    Average scanning interval: 1.16 ECC
    Glitches removed: 2
    <The Nero Disk Quality test showed a quality score of 28>

Test 2 - TDK Own Branded
    General Information
    Disc: DVD-R (TTG02)
    PI errors
    Maximum: 83
    Average: 2.34
    Total: 23525
    PI failures
    Maximum: 7
    Average: 0.40
    Total: 8167
    Scanning statistics
    Elapsed time: 10:04
    Number of samples: 121000
    Average scanning interval: 1.18 ECC
    Glitches removed: 2
    <The Nero Disk Quality test showed a quality score of 70>

Test 3 - Ritek G05

General Information
    Disc: DVD-R (RITEKG05)
    PI errors
    Maximum: 17
    Average: 5.59
    Total: 62244
    PI failures
    Maximum: 17
    Average: 0.05
    Total: 533
    Scanning statistics
    Elapsed time: 10:05
    Number of samples: 123143
    Glitches removed: 4
    <The Nero Disk Quality test showed a quality score of 33>

Test 4 - Datawrite DV3149 (TDK Dye)
    General Information
    Disc: DVD-R (TTG01)
    PI errors
    Maximum: 329
    Average: 22.54
    Total: 318562
    PI failures
    Maximum: 24
    Average: 0.58
    Total: 19545
    Scanning statistics
    Elapsed time: 10:04
    Number of samples: 122976
    Glitches removed: 4
    <The Nero Disk Quality test showed a quality score of 70>

Later.

Cheers,

Dave.

12. dravidham

dravidham Member

Oh dear - f**k, this is getting worse!!

This SOHW 1633s firmware upgrade is causing all manner of problems.........coasters, coasters,coasters and bad tempers. Big time....

I'm gonna check this out and see if I did anything wrong in the morning, but after three and a hakf hours of meddling, I must now go meet my mates for some (lots of) beer and chick spotting - and it looks like I should keep 50 quid of my spending money 4 tonight towards a Pioneer 109 if i dont resolve this prob! :)

I'll be back on this tommorrow.

Have a good eve. all.

Cheers,

Dave.

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

man o man you are getting some hassle? i think its time for a different make burner!

be careful on the pionneer 109 ! its a different inside and firmware type from the 106 / 107 / 108 so dont go on the greatness of its previous models!!!!

also the model Asus-1608P is a pioneer 109 i believe? may be cheaper?

14. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hi Rotary,

Yeah, I take your point, I think that I will play it safe with the Pioneer 108 unit if need be; However, but things have gone kinda weird since I played this game with the Sony unit on Friday night...

Maybe I was doing somwthing a bit wrong when I initially played with this post firmware upgrade, cos I'm I havent got a coaster this eve, which is the first burn I have made sonce Friday.I'll blame it on my very occasional lack of intelligence on my part :)

I did Run a couple of backups tonight using just the TDK own brand DVD-R's on the same offending burner and I run three copies. When I tested each burn using Nero CD Speed 'Disk Quality Test' the results come out at 88%, 90% and 95% repectively. Now how the heck can that happen, when the highest score that I managed to acheive b4 today (post firmware) was between 0% and 80% on Friday night....same machine, .iso and burner??!!!

Anyhows, I'm gonna run another six other backups or so off tonight, and watch half of them tomorrow eve as a tester and I'll post back.

In the meantime, do any of you know an acceptable score through the nero prog (%'ge wise) for a good backup that is universally playable in standalone players in general?

Have a good eve all....

Dave.

15. dravidham

dravidham Member

Wow, looking at my previous post, I'm sure that I could spell much better than that when I was five years old.....Sorry guys :-(

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i think but dont quote me that 95% is top!?!

but i never use this i just burn chuck it in the player and thats it!

17. dravidham

dravidham Member

Thanks 4 post Rotary....

From the p.c.standalone,Nero Disk Quality testing with burns, I've found that you're spot on with the %'ge mark you mentioned.

I've knocked out a large number of 'semi test' burns since my previous post that, quality wise,through Nero, are exceeding 79% using tdk own brand.

They Work great on my 2 stand-alone players. Not on the Xbox though(but that's not realy an issue, just a bonus). When friends tried these very same backups 4 me some on their own players, some glitched in their stand-alones but most didn't.

If I'm lucky enough to get a Nero test result of more than 90% then it's no prob for the group of us to play a backup in anything that the backups are thrown at (as long as they are the TDK's). Regardless of the fact that the rest of the world are burned faultless copies with G04's & G 05's!!

It just seems weird sh*t that the most favourably rated media out there Ritek & Verbatim) seems to be very hit & miss with this burner, even after a firmware upgrade, and even after trying almost everytinng over the past..er...I cant't remember how long, and all that, but a very long time :)

Aside from that problem, which is nobody's fault here on this forum, I'd like to thank everybody on this site as you have all offered invaluable advice on this subject and I wish you all well.

Bugger it, I'm giving up and I'm gonna buy a Pioneer unit and hopefully I wont get the same trouble.

See you guys elsewhere on the furums and once again, thanks for your much appreciated help and seggestions.

Cheers,

Dave.

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

dont touch the pioneer 109 yet, its picky and like i said here i think? not the same type insides or firmware as the 106 107 108...

i would go 108 if the specs are to your likeing? as this drive has a good rep and good firmware hacks!

i am thinking on the latest plextor but still contamplating all...

liteon is very good too and cheap! also they know there lasers! as i have a liteon cdrw for game copying, and if you know about this you will know what its about! very nice drive...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005