1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter and Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD Version 8

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lmrk, Dec 10, 2003.

1. lmrk

lmrk Member

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, and new to DVD-R. I've checked the other posts, FAQ and the guides regarding DVD Decrypter on this site and on the home site for that program.

I am trying to back-up one of my DVD's using Decrypter. The size of the DVD is 4.17Gb, and I'm using a Shintaro blank disc for burning which is 4.7Gb in size.

I followed the instructions for Decrypter and read the disc to my hard drive, where is was saved. There are 2 files, one ending with .iso and other .mds. (I have a laptop so I only have one DVD drive) I then tried to burn it to the blank disc, but am unable to get it to burn. The burn button won't engage. There are 2 messages in the Decyrpter log, one which says:

W 18:39:39 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support files > 4 GB

and the other which states:

W 18:39:39 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support files > 4 GB

Could this be the reason for the fail?
    I then tried to burn the movie with Instant DVD, but keep getting the message:

please insert a blank disc with at least 3.98 Gb free space.

I have been at this for 2 days now and have tried every permutation of burning variables without success.

I'm almost at the point of crying or throwing my laptop out the window.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lily

ps.......I'm in Australia, so the DVD is region 4 (if this is relevant :))

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Because you are using a Laptop it may be that the file is too big - infact it says anything over 4Gb is not supported so I would think this is the obvious reason it will not burn. I don't have much experience with laptops but I guess the 4Gb limit is to save space and preserve performance? You will have to shrink the ripped file slightly. You can do this with DVD Shrink.

3. lmrk

lmrk Member

Thank you Discmania for your suggestion. I've just read in another post that Fat32 is no good (not that I know what it is) at handdling large files and it does not store files larger than 4GB + and that to copy DVD files, ISO etc, to make sure that you use the NTFS system that WinXP uses.

I used WinXP Pro, could someone please tell me how to use the NTFS?

Cheers

Lily

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you are already using XP you should already have NTFS and not FAT32 unless XP is an upgrade from an earlier Windows version. I am assuming it is an upgrade in which case you will not have NTFS and cannot get it unless you change your OS to the full version or add another HD. Try downloading DVD Shrink and then uploading the ripped folder into it and choosing a compression ratio before backing up. That will give you DVD files totalling less than 4GB (you can see the file size you choose at upper right). You should then be able to drag and burn the files without changing your system.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003