1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter and the ISO and MDS File

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dennishp, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Dennishp

Dennishp Member

I used DVD Decrypter to copy a movie to my HD. After I ejected the original DVD and I had a power drop and my system rebooted. I opened up decrypter to continue the burning of the movie to another DVD and as was following the directions on the After Dawn Web page (about using the DVD Decrypter)...something didn't make sense to me. I have two files on my HD a very large one 3.5GB with a suffix of .ISO. I have another small file with the suffix .MDS. The directions on the Webpage talk about a suffix of .DVD being copied..and it leaves me with the impression that there is only supposed to be one file for copy. I have those two. Before I do something really stupid and ruin a DVD-R...can someone please explain why I have two files..and if I need to burn both of them to the DVD...how do I do that? It appears that I can select one file or the other...or am I missing something? Hate to sound like such a dummy..but I've wasted too many CD-R's in the past..and do not want to do the same with DVD-R's now. Thanks for any responses.

2. Marino13

Marino13 Member

Choose the .ISO file. That is the actual DVD Movie in an image format. The .MDS file is created and used solely by DVD Decrypter. You could actually take the image file and burn it with any software that supports burning images (i.e. Nero, GEAR, etc.) or just use DVD Decrypter since the disc is smaller than 4.7GB. FYI - I have noticed some people in this forum seem to think that burning a DVD as an image file is not good but I have never seen a post where any of these people explain why. I do it both ways and have never had a problem with either.

3. Dennishp

Dennishp Member

Thanks so much for the info Marino13. I do appreciate it.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Marino13
    Because if using an image it is not as easy to re-author if the need should arrive (which it usually does)

Use:

DVD Decrypter (in File Mode)
    DVD2One / DVD Shrink (to compress,which most movies need)
    Nero (or other burning software)

5. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

mainly because it is harder for a set-top to read an iso file then it would be a VIDEO_TS folder because the VIDEO_TS tells the set-top where every thing is

and also because of reauthoring capabilities

6. herbsman

Most new DVD Players should be able to cope w/ ISO or VIDEO_TS folder method , as my Sony DVP-NS305 does and it's only really an entry level player.

It's more to do with the re-authoring

7. Marino13

Marino13 Member

herbsman, I should have specified that I only use ISO when it is a single layer DVD but you are right that most now need re-authored. I thought that there might have been a specific reason besides the size.

ripster01 - actually when you burn an ISO file the file is burnt however you compile it. It would not be a correct statement to say that a set-top dvd player can read an ISO file at all. Set-top players "need" the Video_TS folder for DVD Video. If you have the actual file on the disc then you burned the disc as a data dvd. If you use a ISO burning solution then it extracts the image into whatever format it was compiled in.

8. Marino13

Marino13 Member

herbsman, are you saying that burning an ISO file of a DVD to a data DVD works on set top players? If I am wrong I apoligize for my previous post but I do not see how a set-top player could decode an ISO file.

9. herbsman

If you have (as you stated) a single layer disc ... ie; under 4.36Gb (4470mb) then you can just simply ISO Read , then ISO Write in DVD Decrypter & the disc will play in a set top (stand alone) DVD Player.

10. herbsman

The above method being applied by me to do copies/back ups of PS2 games ; )

11. Marino13

Marino13 Member

Yes, that is true. What I am stating is that the actual ISO file can be burned to a data dvd as an image itself (xxx.iso) without "unpacking" the data but this will not be playable on a set top player. When you burn the ISO file with DVD Decrypter you are actually "unpacking" the file and the disc will be written as a DVD-Video disc. An example would be Nero. You can burn an ISO data file in Nero or you can actually burn a ISO comilation that is an ISO file "unpacked". Unpacked may not be the best word to use for this but at the moment I can't come up with anything else.

12. herbsman

13. Marino13

Marino13 Member

Correct. Thanks for clearing that up.

14. herbsman

No problem ; p