1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, AnyDVD, Vobblanker problems!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CaptChaos, Mar 8, 2005.

1. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

Hi - I am trying to back up Alien vs Predator but before someone says "Read the Forums" .... I have, endlessly, doing everything anyone has ever said about "oh this worked for me" etc. etc.

I am in the U.K. and have tried DVD Decrypter 3.5.20, Vobblanker 1.6.05, DVD Shrink3.2 AnyDVD 4.5.7.2 .......

None of them work either alone or together .... I've probably burnt my dvd-rw drive to a crisp trying to get it done :(

AnyDVD gave me this information re: the disc .......

Summary for drive D:
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: AVP_SE_D1_FR_UK
    Media is CSS protected!
    Video Standard: PAL
    Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
    DVD structure appears to be correct.
    Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
    Structural copy protection not found.
    Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
    Bad sector protection not found.
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

I have tried to use vobblanker to just get the main movie vobs (all around 1gb each) & they are sat on my hard drive, but if I try to load them into DVD Shrink, it tells me that a couple of IFO files are missing which I put into the folder, but then when I tried to load the files into dvd shrink to shrink it, it told me that the main movie vobs were missing. Can't load it straight into Nero because altogether is well over 5gb. DVD Decrypter stopped on vob#4 & went nuts and I've come to a brick wall.

I appreciate that most of the discssions in here are for region 1 discs, but if anyone has a region 2 AvP disc they have successfully backed up, please tell me how you did it using anything & everything I've got already or can get from somewhere!

Thank you (I hope)

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try going into Shrink and instead of hitting open files just click on Re-author right away and browse to where your files are on the HD in the right window. Then simply drag them into the left window and use Shrink as normal...

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

well i got this AvP yesterday, (UK version), and dvd shrunk it with zero effort, no funny ie tricky protections on it. the giveawy is your output up the page, there's nought wrong with it. I would suggest region-free'ing your dvd drive you use to rip films..

Rich

4. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

ok will try that when my computer has cooled down a bit & I pick all my torn out hair from the floor lol

Oh yes - first time I tried with DVD Shrink, it got to 89% and said "Can't go on - copy protection" and the next time I tried I got the dreaded "Cyclic Redundancy" error .....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You said it was on your hard drive with Decrypter right? Just use the method I explained above ^^^

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

7. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

Yes & thank you - I will try that imminently.

Incidentally, my DVD+RW drive is an NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A & I've got a feeling it plays anything anyway, NTSC and PAL.

But ty & I'll try the above methods before I start screaming!

8. creaky

yeah, yeah , yeah, just rip that film, its excellent :) :)

Rich

9. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

Hi again .....

Ok, I seem to have been able to back the movie up using DVD Decrypter with latest AnyDVD running in background ... Will try to DVD Shrink them later.

I seem to be getting a few "Cyclic Redundancy" error messages at the moment - is that likely to be the discs or could it be the DVD drive?

Thanks again for your help guys.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  10. creaky

cyclic errors, loadsa those threads on the forum...its a common problem, decryptor i think gets round it the easiest.

as for anydvd working for you, cool. horses for courses, seems there's always more than 1 fix for anything

Rich

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  11. Goonerz

Goonerz Member

Why not just use DVDXCOPY Platinum and backup the whole thing in one click...worked for me with the UK version....Crap film tho!!!

12. creaky

aha, but that software probably isn't free !. nothing wrong with paid-for software, but shrink/dvd decryptor can do most stuff, for free :)
    more importantly, paid-for software such as you suggest, may well get around the problem of the day, but then you still need updates for your software when the next copy protection hassle starts, so any software is good as another..
    As for the film itself, i thought it was pretty good, and they've left it open nicely for the sequel...

Rich

13. Goonerz

Goonerz Member

yeh ur rite it aint free..cost me 60 quid. worth every penny...can choose what u wanna copy and what ya dont!

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Goonerz

Try to copy RE2, Little Black Book, and other Sony DVD's with Platinum and when you find out that you can't, then what are you going to use?

The Free programs maybe that allow you to edit main menus, drop off extras, and don't have the dreaded 321 Backup screen.

15. squizzle

squizzle Active member

yeah, Goonerz, give it a while, you'll grow to hate X Copy just like most of us have.

16. Goonerz

Goonerz Member

The only dvd I cannot copy is Saw. Ive ripped it but cant burn it back properly. Gunna buy it anyway, thought it was great!

I havent had any othre probs with DVD X Copy, and the 321 backup screen doesnt bothre me, only lasts a nimute or so!!! whats the prob!?

Tell me guys, what dvds have u tried copying with it? are they region 2's? does anyone know what software I can get to copy region 1 dvds?

17. creaky

er, DVD Shrink, for one lol !

Rich

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Goonerz

Use AnyDVD along with your DVDxCopy and you are good to go! By the way, that will also allow you to copy Sony movies/encryption as well.

19. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

Thank you all for your help .... I am still a bit concerned about the number of DVD Shrink errors I am getting at the moment though .... I recently "upgraded" from version 2.3 to 3.2 & am getting more error messages ("copy protection" & "cyclic redundancy") than ever before, even on older dvds.

Could this just be the luck of the draw regarding the discs I am backing up, or is it more likely to be my dvd drive on its way out?

20. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I used to get copy protection errors then I disabled "Burning with Nero" in options and now I'm fine. I still burn with Nero though. Cyclic redundancy is usually a bad original disc.