1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter ERROR

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BiggShot, Sep 25, 2004.

1. BiggShot

BiggShot Guest

I'm a newbie at this DVD thing. I'm trying to burn my DVD with DVD Shrink using DVD Decrypter. When Decrypter starts it try's to burn the lead in but doesn't go any further. It gives me an error that reads:

I/O Error

Device: [1:0:0] HP DVD Writer 200j 1.36 (E:)(ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write(10)-Sectors:0-31

Sense Area:70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00 00 00 00 AF
    Interpretation: Power Calibration Area Error.

Has anyone seen this before? What am I doing wrong?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You may need to clean your DVD burner, A power calibration error means that for some reason the burner can't read back the data it is writing during the lead in. Changing media sometimes helps.

The following is from Nero FAQ it applies to your Decrypter problem as well:

I get a "Power calibration error" or "Calibration area (almost) full" error message. Why?

Power Calibration is controlled by the recorder.

Before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the CD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). During the write, it continues to do this test to get the best write throughout the whole CD; this is called "Running Optimum Power Calibration" (ROPC).
    This whole process is controlled by the recorder, though initiated by programs such as Nero. There is an area on the inner part of the CD for the test and test data info to be stored. You can use this area up to 999 times.

If you receive the "Power calibration error" or "Power calibration area is (amost) full" error message, the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder.

Please try the following solutions:

Update the firmware of your recorder. Please check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.
    Try another brand of CD-R or CD-RW media.
    Try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the error occurs with an external recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. As a test, try to take the recorder out of the external chassis and connect it internal.
    Try different configurations, such as taking the CD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.
    Send the recorder in for service.

Cheers,
    Frank

3. BiggShot

BiggShot Guest

Thanks fasfrank! I will start with the media upgrade. I was able to burn on DVD with the DVD provided with my burner. It worked with no problem. I'm using Memorex DVD+R 8X 4.7GB 120 min. Do you have any suggestions on a better media to get. Also does the 8x makes a difference in my recording? Is 4x or any other better?

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Drop the Memorex! Just put them down! Better yet, take them out and use them for target practice. Seriously though Memorex is not very reputable. They use numerous companies to manufacture their media and some of those companies don't have very high quality standards. So it's always a gamble whether or not you're buying quality blanks. Most people here use Verbatim or Ritek. Make sure to get branded discs. There are some imitations running around out there.

The general consensus around here seems to be to burn movies at 4X. The faster you burn, the more you increase your chance for errors. Some people do burn faster without problems, but I personally don't feel that I'll ever be one of them.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again BiggShot,
    I had a couple of cakes of Memorex 4X -Rs that burned, sort of. I could burn a movie on the Memorex and experience some very minor freezing. A Ritek burned with the same movie played flawlessly. zippyd is right on target.

I'm using Ritek Ridata 4X -R right now. I've burned about 100 of them with no media related problems. They are the matte top Ridata branded G-04s.

I burn at 4X no matter what my media or burner is capable of. It is just less likely to cause problems. The burner does not have to work as hard. Your choice though.

Cheers,
    Frank