1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to copy entire DVD into one VOB = Problems For Ulead

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by iamjcl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. iamjcl

iamjcl Member

Have made about 60 DVD-R copies of DV tapes, and have had the "auto chapter" setting of my Sony GX7 Set Top DVD Recorder set to 6 minutes, for ease of navigating the discs.

Using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to copy the dvd onto my HD, with no file splitting, so I get 1 big .VOB, which I rename .MPG, and then import into Ulead Movie Factory 3.5. All works great, except the .MPG shows up as being only 3-7 seconds long, despite a file size of 4.3 GB, and despite it playing beyond the stated length. Cannot select chapter points, etc.., and I'm sure it would cause other problems as well.
    Using this same procedure on discs created the same way, except the Sony being set for NO chapter stops during recording, produces a perfect VOB which I rename .MPG, and it works great in Ulead. Importing directly (not using dvd decrypter) into Ulead from master disc works perfectly, except of course for the fact that the video is divided up into multiple chapters / clips, and thats a mess.

I thought the whole point of "no file splitting" was to get rid of hassles in chapter stops ? So what gives in this situation ? Is it ulead, or is it DVD decrypter not "stitching" the stuff together properly ? FWIW, the .MPGs also show the wrong duration in Windows Media Player, but do play longer than that, but then start to stutter.

I don't want to make this job any more complex than it already is - so If I could just run down the root or cause, I could at least go in the right direction from there (going with mydvd, etc...)

Any Ideas ? - I hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Chris.

2. iamjcl

iamjcl Member

Well, looks like its not chapter stop related after all. Strange as it may be, the same DV tape recorded to a +rw blank with the identical parameters works perfectly. Problem is, I have 60 -R recordings (which all play perfectly in any dvd player). I just need to be able to "rip" the contents to my PC and edit it. See new post regarding "funky" vobs only on -R discs...

- Chris

3. mocarob

mocarob Member

I have this issue from time to time.
    In my case, It was the variable bit rate and frame size that wasn't always constant with pannys that caused the problem. Esp. when transferring old tapes.

FIX.
    Rip the disc to seperate files. (demux?)
    Rename the m2v and ac3 files to identical names. (keeping the m2v and ac3 extensions)
    You may have to change your folder viewing options for this. Then re-write the files back together. (multiplex?)
    I use TMPenc.
    Ir re-writes the header and stream info.

If this is confusing email me at mocarob@yahoo.com for complete instructions.
    Who knows when i'll check this board again.
    Rob