1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter or also DVD Shrink, for file backup?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aldaco12, Apr 11, 2005.

1. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I'm a little ashamed since my 'title' is 'moderator', but on this issue you may call me 'newbie' because I never did anything.
    This is my first attempt to backup a DVD, and sorry if my questions are too trivial.
    The issue is: DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I would like to know if DVD Shrink can used as a DVD ripping tool to put the VOBs in a specified directory, so I can use DVD2AVI and TMPGenc Plus to extract from the VOB a (S)VCD like it has ben written in Afterdawn's guides ( http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm for VCDs and http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm for SVCDs). Alas, Smartripper is no more being updated and it's unable to rip the new DVDs, so I'm trying do find a good ripper (well, if upgrades on Smatripper have been done, please tell me, but I'm quite confidenf they haven't been done). My choice is going towards DVD Decrypter, bt I'm questioning about the use of DVD Shrink. Will the 'shrinking' added by DVD Shrink prevent me from loading the VOB with TMPGenc + DVD2AVI? Or will TMPGenc + DVD2AVI be able to convert to VCD any properly ripped set of VOB?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your best bet for stricktly ripping would be to use DVD Decrypter. Just rip all the files in "File Mode" to a selected spot on your hard drive. Shrink would do it, but not nearly as good or fast as Decrypter. Shrink is also never going to be updated again so you will run into the same problem with that as you do with Smart Ripper. If however you really like Smart Ripper and don't want to part with it you could just use Any DVD. That little proggy just runs in the background tricking your computer into thinking there is no encryption or region code on the DVD. However I believe Decrypter would be the best for what you are doing.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Thanks!

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem :)

5. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

You can use DVD Shrink directly and create an image file for later burning. Most people who use Shrink always waste time by using DVD Decrypter first then DVD Shrink to make the backup. DVD Shrink has the ability to decrypt the disc while its in the drive so there is really no need to waste time first by copying the files down to the hard drive then using DVD Shrink. Simply do it directly from the disc to the drive with DVD Shrink. If the movie has the Sony ACCros protection load up DVD43 which is FREE and use Shrink. Save yourself a ton of time.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@BTFSB,
    Whey don't you read the entire question before you open your mouth again? aldaco isn't trying to make a backup of a movie as you are suggesting. They are converting to AVI so ther is no need for the inferior ripping of DVD Shrink when compared to Decrypter.