1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD decrypter wont read in iso mode and Burner wont burn.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Stry-Ker, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

I have it set to master and it is a Nec 3500a. It has worked perfect in my other computer but when i installed it in this new one i am having some problems. I ripped a movie with shrink just fine but cannot get that to burn it just sits there and never starts. Same with decrypter it says its starting but does not. Both the dvd drive and cdrw drive show up as scsi which seems strange to me. I also tried to upgrade to the newest firmware and it gives me a patching error. Argh, what to do?!!!

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok, i think we have a driver / dma issue here?

check your dma settings for drive!

scsi, now do you use hyperion via 4in1 drivers if so get rid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use only your motherboards via 4in1

(make sure your jumpers are correct)

3. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

no i do not have hyperion drivers. I have the default drivers. I dont even have an advanced tab to check pio mode or dma mode. I am going to double check the jumpers. I swithched the drives around yesterday thinking that may work. I made the Nec 3500 a Master drive and the stock cdrw a slave drive and i did change the jumper settings.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

so you are saying you dont have a place to check dma? then you are in trouble!

where did you find out its SCSI ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

cdrom problems the whole shabang!

1. Running Programs

Make sure you quit all running background programs, such as anti-virus software.

Windows 95 Users
    Use the Ctrl-Alt-Del function to quit all the programs using the Task Manager, EXCEPT for the Explorer, systray, and your recording software

Windows 98/ME Users
    Select [Start] -> [Run], then input "msconfig". Disable everything under the [Startup] tab, except "system tray'.

Windows 2000/XP Users
    Open the Task Manager, then select the program/s under the [Application] tab, then click [End Task].

2. Drive Connection

Other devices may be interfering with the CD-R/RW drive. Disconnect all other removable devices, then try recording again. If there is still a problem, try the following.

Optimal Hardware Configuration

All hard drives are placed on the Primary IDE, check that the drives are correctly set as master/slave. CD-ROM/CD-R/RW drives are placed on the Secondary IDE, set the recording drive as the "master". If you are using a USB or IEEE devices, disconnect them.

Update your chipset

Windows 95/98/ME Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click to open [Hard Disk Controllers]. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, the Secondary IDE Channel controller and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Windows NT/2000/XP Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller, and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Configure Windows
    Make sure that your operating system has been fully updated. Visit the Microsoft website to acquire these updates.

3. ASPI Manager

Check your ASPI layer configuration. Your recording program is likely to use the standard windows ASPI layer, which has been replaced by another ASPI layer of yet another recording program. Make sure you have the original windows ASPI layer in use and retry. If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

4. DMA Settings

Setting DMA mode:

Windows 95/98/ME Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click on [CD-ROM]. This will expand to show the CD drives on your system. Right click on a drive and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on the [Settings] tab and check that the [DMA] option is enabled. Repeat this procedure for the remaining CD drives.

Win NT/2000/XP Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller. Complete the following procedure:

Right click on the Primary IDE controller and select [Properties] from the menu.
    Select the [Advanced Settings] tab. Check that the [Transfer Mode] for both devices is set to [DMA if available].
    Repeat this for Secondary IDE controller.

Note: In some cases older CD-ROM drives will not support DMA mode. In that case please set both devices to PIO mode.

5. Disc

Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.
    Use a different blank, recordable disc.
    Use a different manufacturer's disc.
    Ensure the disc is clean before recording:
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.

Error during file verification
    If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

Read error when copying a disc
    When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.
    Try cleaning the disc.
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.
    Try using a different source drive.
    To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.
    Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.
    Insert your disc into the new drive.
    Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.
    When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B's Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

6. Drive

If you have tried Actions 1 through 5 above, there may be a problem with your drive. Contact the drive maker with details of the error code. If the 5th and 6th digit of the error code is 80 through FF, then the error code is maker unique. The descriptions of these error codes differ depending on the maker.

6. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

i have a pic but cant get it on here. It shows as scsi under device manager on Both drives. And no there is not an advanced tab under secondary or primary ide channel. I have the same Via listing as you under the ide channels. Man i am getting so frustrated with this.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

there is something wrong here! is the new pc new from shop or self built?

i have never come across this before with no listings for dma? are you useing extternal drives or something?

hey - what happens if you disconnect one drive? put back to normal does it show then?

you are useing master jumper and slave jumper and not the cable select?

8. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

its a cyberpower pc. I did disconnect the slave drive and that did not seem to fix my problem. The are internal drives. The dvd burner being a nec 3500a. On the stock cdrw drive i have the jumper set in the misddle. on the Nec drive i have the jumper set closest to the IDE cable. I am more confused on why this is showing up as scsi. I bet this is some kind of driver issue. i just need something to tell the PC that thses are atapi drives and not scsi. Even the Harddrives are showing up as scsi.

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

is your motherboard a raid one? and are your drives ata not sata?

10. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

The motherboard does have raid ability. The motherboard is MSI K8T NEO-FSR. I really appreciat your help!! I wanna get back up and running. Should i disable SATA in the bios? Yeah the drives should all be ATA. BTW the sceondary hard drive is a Western digital from old PC that IS NOT SATA, as well as the NEC 3500. Acording to the invoice the Hard drive and cdrw that came are:

IBM 80gb 700 RPM HD
    Black LG 52x32x52 IDE OEM CDRW

Hope this info helps you to help me. MANY MANY thanks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes try it!! as it may be trying to load a raid array! i use raid it comes out as scsi for HD and no DMA!

so you never know!

remeber what settings you changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

12. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

ok, well we may be getting somewhere. When i disabled SATA in the bios once windows started up it loaded new IDE hardware. However, once it got to the VIA ide it would start hangin and make the pc run very slow. I cant even open a window. The mouse will scroll around and freeze and then resume. I think that disable SATA will be my key to solve this problem. Only if i can get past the via drivers loading up which is for the VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA controller (dual mode). i tried safe mode and it seems to hang there too. Any ideas?

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes i think so too! its the bios!

now useally there are 2 places to change? but hit load default setings and try that!

14. Stry-Ker

Stry-Ker Member

So how can i keep that last ide channel from installing? It is what is hanging the system. I would say i have about 5-10 seconds to get into things and then it hangs or slows down by a great deal. I wanna see if i can get a driver on my desktop and try to start that install b4 it hangs.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

to do that either pull the ide cable out of drive or click in device manager on the cd/dvd drive tab, open it up then find the drive and right click to uninstall!