1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decryptro

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by weston325, Oct 20, 2004.

1. forkndave

forkndave Member

I've never done this with an external drive, but I suppose it would work the same. You don't have to use Partition magic unless you want to. Windows XP has a built in converter. You can go to the link I gave in the previous post. What it says essentially is to go to "Run" on the start menu, type in "command" and then in the new window type in "convert k: /fs:ntfs". Don't type in the quote marks. This is if your drive letter is "K". You must have Windows XP to do this. The earlier Windows versions can't read an NTFS drive. When you convert this way you will have 512 byte cluster size. If you check free space before and after, you should see a difference. I converted a 60GB drive that was about 2/3 full and picked up about 2GB more free space. I haven't done this on an external drive, so you're sort of on your own there. I don't think it would make any difference, but I won't give any guantarees. It doesn't show, but there is a space between convert and k: above.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy OU812Ono , welcome to aD,

Sure, no problem. If you go to Control Panel, Adminstrative Tools then Computer Management, you can re-assign letters to your drives and HD's to suit your self and nothing will suffer because of the Letter differences.

No worries -

As far as converting the drive tho NTFS, forkndave supplied a faster way than the one I offered using Partition Magic. The answer was intended to alay any fears and to cover all OS as it was a pre-typed reply. By all means, follow his expert advise.

By all means, no problem doing that at all. Actually, use DVD Shrink in the "File", "Open Disc Image" to grab your ISO image and then, when you're finished and go to "Backup," kick it out as an ISO image to store on your HD, burn or both -

You're doing everything right, keep on burning and - Come on back - You don't need to have a problem, just roam around and always feel free to post -

LQQkin forward to seeing more of you -

Pete

3. guest22

guest22 Member

Guys.....

I reinstalled DVD-Decrypter 3.2.3 and DVD Shrink 3.0 on my hard drive. I know I used to use these two programs but I cannot remember the sequences nor the settings that allowed me to backup DVD movies using only about 4GB plus on my hard drive.

I used to select ISO-read mode and it made no difference the DVD size because the files (with no folder) written to my hard drive were always approximately:
    filmname.I00 - 1,048,176KB
    filmname.I01 - 1,048,176KB
    filmname.I02 - 1,048,176KB
    filmname.I03 - 1,048,176KB
    filmname.I04 - 377,400KB
    filmname.MDS - 5KB

I have not changed my Win98 system, nor hard drive, nor DVD-RW/R, nor DVD media.

My ISO-Read Options:

File Splitting - 1GB
    DVD+RW Capacity - File System

Create MDS File (checked)
    Remove IFO/BUP RC Protection (checked)
    Remove IFO/BUP RCE Protection (checked)
    Remove IFO/BUP PUOs
    Remove VOB PUOs

What am I forgetting to do? Sorry if I'm using the wrong thread.

Thanks for the help.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Here's what I use - It fine-tunes DVD Decrypter into a dyn-o-mite ripping machine -

I'd like you to check your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.1.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO Read Mode", "tick" "Remove PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with scratched discs which may cause ripping problems.

Some people like ripping with DVD Decrypter using the "File" "Mode" BUT, especially for episodel-type DVD's, I feel that nothing can beat ripping the DVD using the "ISO", "Read","Mode". After you've ripped your disc using the "ISO" "Read" "Mode", open DVD Shrink go to File", "Open Disc Image " to locate your ISO image - after allowing DVD Shrink to load up the image, just process it as usual then burn to disc using your burner of choice.

HINT: If you are going to burn with DVD Decrypter, DON'T FORGET TO - go back to DVD Decrypter after ripping, to reset the "Mode" from "ISO - Read" to "ISO - Write".

Cheers,

Pete

5. guest22

guest22 Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try what you suggested but it'll have to be when I come back from out of town next week. Thanks again.

Cheers

6. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Hey much thanks to you guys, converted my drive over, picked up some space, and kept everything uncorrupted. It was so quick and easy my only regret is I didn't know about it earlier.

I tried ripping with decryptor in Iso-Read mode and works great. Only one thing I am still confused about, Scuba said:

Does this mean there is a way that Shrink can create an .iso image of the title that I am burning. The way I am doing it now is after I choose Backup I create a folder in the Backup menu. After it is finished burning I am left with the usual .vob's and .bup's. I know I can backup the re-authored movie to the HDD instead of burning to a disc and get an .iso, but I was just curious if there was a way to both burn and create one in one step.

Thanks again for all the help, now that I'm an official newbie I'll try and put my 2 cents in whenever I can.