1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive Blue Screen Problem

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by BadBone, Feb 22, 2007.

1. BadBone

BadBone Guest

I have a problem with a recently acquired DVD drive. I connected it up like usual, bios detects it, windows detects it.

Now for the problem, whenever i play a DVD movie in Windows Media player, it brings up the Blue Screen and says that windows has encountered a fatal error and then it begins to back up my memory to disk.

Then when i restart it says that windows has recovered from a fatal error.

I then Installed "Cyberlink Power DVD", it opens up then brings up the windows XP error message then closes. I don't get it, because i used "Media Player Classic" and the DVD works fine, just like it should and also when i browse the DVD and select the VOB files they play in "Power DVD"

I am Totally Lost, i believe it is a software issue and i am wondering if i will have to re-program my computer to fix the problem.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

3. BadBone

BadBone Guest

These are the Media Players and Codecs that i have on my System:
    ~ I upgraded to windows media player 9 from the standard 8 that comes with XP
    ~ I have windows Media Player Classic
    ~ I installed k-Lite Codec Pack
    ~ I installed Windows Media Player 9 Plugins for Windows XP
    ~ And like i mentioned i also installed Cyberlink Power DVD

I don't know if there is a problem there since i have been using it for a while with no problems. The problem just aroused when i tried playing a DVD in my newly acquired DVD drive

I am 100% sure that i installed the drive correctly and the pins are fine since this is a new drive.

After reading your post, I checked the add and remove programs and i noticed for some strange reason that Windows Media Player was not in the list, so i then attempted to installed WMP 10 thinking that Media player hadn'yt installed properly, and it brought up an errors and said that Windows Media Player needs to be closed down before i can continue with the upgraded, and i don't have WMP open, i checked the running processes and there are no programs running that seem strange to me.

Any suggestions?

4. BadBone

BadBone Guest

****** ITS WORKING ******

I was able to uninstall Media Player 9 through a Registry Editing software i found.

and after i installed WMP 10 the DVD works fine :)

Thanks for your help Ripper, i can finally watch some movies now

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I am in the UK, so time differences and all...

Anyway, glad it's sorted. WMP 11 is out now, Btw, so you may want to upgrade from 10 ;-)