1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive has 'Disappeared' from view

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mrmathers, Sep 1, 2004.

1. mrmathers

mrmathers Member

Hi,
    I was recently in the middle of backing up a DVD (the encoding stage in DVD shrink) and the computer crashed.
    I restarted the computer and everything was fine, but when I went to re-start the encoding process the DVD drive had 'disappeared'. What the hell happened here? The computer simply cannot see the drive, even in My Computer. The drive just isnt there.
    Does anyone know how to cure this?
    It's happened before and I fixed it, but I can't remember what to do. I've restarted the computer a few times now, but it still can't see it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I should also note that the drive is completely dead. The drawer won't open or close when I press the eject button.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Where will you be - The Day After Tomorrow?[/small]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Thats a strange one. Maybe try this. Unplug the IDE cable and power plug from the drive. Reboot and run scandisk. Then shut down and reinstall the plugs. See if Windows reinstalls the drive.

Jerry

3. mrmathers

mrmathers Member

well it seems that actually turning the PC off then on again (not just a restart) solves the problem.
    Since I discovered this the drive has disappeared three more times. I don't know what causes it to disappear, but it seems that turning off then on brings the device back into operation if it stops working.